Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cement Garden Borders

Bantam
Growing in Experience

Cement Garden Borders

I am going to put cement borders around my garden and cannot find out how to calculate how many bags of cement I will need. Does anyone have any idea how to work it out?

A google search brought up calculators for cement slabs or paths but nothing for borders.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Cement Garden Borders

Volume is length x width x height for right angles. (square or rectangle)
Triangle is width x height / 2 x length.
20kg concrete = .01cubic meters or 600mm x 150mm x 50mm.
Remember to work in the same unit of measurement, meters works as that is how you buy concrete.
So you will have volume in cubic meters / .01 = bags needed.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I trust you will find @Brad's helpful answer very useful @Bantam. Good luck with the project. Feel free to post again if you need any further assistance. There's plenty of helpful people like Brad in the community.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bantam
Growing in Experience

Thanks so much for that Brad. I will be able to work out how much cement I need now.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good luck with the project @Bantam. It would be great if you could share a picture or two when you're done.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Bantam
Growing in Experience

The cement borders that I'm putting in the back garden are functional rather than decorative. I'm putting them around the areas I want to pave. When I moved here there were some pavers already laid but half of them have come away from where they should be because there were no firm edging to hold them in place. So that's what my cement borders are for - to lay a firm edging so that when I lay my new pavers they will stay put.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects