Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cactus issue

ehlouey
Just Starting Out

Cactus issue

Hi there, I have I believe a type of cactus plant in a pot, as per image, just wondering why it's not flowering consistently. Is it because if you notice in the image, on the lager leaf we'll call it there's a longer slimmer leaf (extension) growing on it??? Do I cut them off?

Cheers and thank you.

Lou

cactus.jpg 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cactus issue

Hi Lou (@ehlouey)

Thanks for your post. I trust members of the Workshop community will have some advice for you. First step will obviously be to identify the plant. Do you have any clues as to what it is?

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find Workshop to be informative as well as fun.  

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Lou,

It looks like a zygocactus. It is a heavy feeder so check out some of the cactus fertilizers at Bunnings.
Search 'zygocactus' or 'Christmas cactus' on the internet and you will find plenty of tips on how to encourage flowering.

Happy Gardening!
Fran
Cultivating a Following

It is definitely a Zygo Cactus or Christmas Cactus, but I have never seen one with such long leaves. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for your input @Fran, I'm sure @ehlouey really appreciates it.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts.

Jason

Zam
Finding My Feet

There seems to be 2 separate plants, the flowering one is definitely a zygo but the long leafed one ( really not true leaves ) is different.

Cheers Frank
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining the discussion Frank (@Zam). Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to seeing more of your posts soon.

Jason

Good point @Zam!
Now I looked at the pic closely, there are actually 3 types of cactus. The flowering one is the Zygo. There is one with boarder leave on top of the long leaves. That one is a night blooming cereus, can't be specific without the flowers.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects