Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Blank area in the garden

Flower24
Growing in Experience

Blank area in the garden

i have soent the morning digging out a row of 5 pittosporums. I would like to put a feature tree in the area. My problem is it is on the western side of the house and thats where my solar panels are. My ideal would have been a Acer Autumn Glory but think it would be to big.  I have shifted a lemon tree from an other area in the garden as it was not doing very well and needed more sun. Sandy soil in Melbournes southeastern suburbs. Any one have any suggestions of a small tree for the area before i hit mr goole and the gardening books. image.jpeg

CathD
Making a Splash

Re: Blank area in the garden

Do you have any interest in a fruit tree @Flower24? And can you tell us what size tree (maximum height) you are looking for?

Flower24
Growing in Experience

Thank you for your suggestion. Think i can only go to about 2.5 metres maybe 3 at a pinch. I did think of a fruit tree. I already have 3 different apples, orange, lime, 2 plums, a peach, 1 apricot and miniatre pear,cherry and nectarine. Couldnt think of any others that i would eat.
I thought of a grevillia Limelight. Think it might be the right size. I have had one in the garden and it lasted 10 years and then dropped dead overnight so wanted something longer lasting than that.

@Flower24

I am envious of all your fruit trees.

You have so many options about what to plant in this space. This is a excellent guide that might help narrow it down - http://www.flemings.com.au/documents/top_10_trees_guide_2012.pdf

Couldnt help myself bought full size Flemings cherry and have planted it so it doesnt interfere with the solar panels, but still have plenty of room. Thank you for the Flemings  brochure. They have some great ideas ideas have been able to narrow it done to about 3-4 to pick from will now think it through for a few days before i hit the nursery again. Think i need a plan of action first. thanks for all your help. Its been great.

A native to attract the native birds and bees will increase the yield of your fruit trees.
Flower24
Growing in Experience

Thank youfor your suggestion. Think i will put a grevillia moonlight in the area. 

They are a beautiful tree and have lovely flowers. It is also the required height to get around the issue of the solar panels. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects