Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best way to control weeds in the garden

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Best way to control weeds in the garden

weeds.jpg

Keen to hear Adam's thoughts on the best way to control weeds in the garden.

Is pulling them out by hand more or less effective than using a weed killer in terms of stopping them from growing back...?

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Best way to control weeds in the garden

I would be interested to read about common weeds that you can eat @Kiwifr33. Feel free to rant away!

Be careful using LARGE amounts of black plastic in the garden. It used to be done a lot but is not so common now. Black plastic stops water and air getting into the soil underneath so it's not good in the long term. Small bits around plants is fine though mulch mats or weed mat is better.

Newspapers are a good option for larger areas and it's good recycling.

poppins
Growing in Experience

We have had the best tomatoes ever growing from under black plastic, it stays moist all year round, maybe because our land is on a slight slope. Was there when we bought the place but its only a very small garden with rocks over the top of the plastic, I was surprised to see them grow every year by them selves. 

First I tried pulling by hand but they grew back and I got carpal tunnel. Then I tried boiling water, but they grew back. Then I tried poisoning them but they grew back. Then I lay down about 3cm of old cardboard boxes and loaded straw and compost on top. Success. Mulching is the way to go for sure! It keeps water in during hot weather and keeps roots cool and if a weed comes up it is very easy to remove by hand.

Great, many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your experience @misterfatty. We're really pleased to have you join us here on Workshop. Welcome to the community. 

Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of community members keen to share their knowledge and expertise. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

I'm bumping this - has anyone tried the gas fuelled heat torches? I'm thinking about it, as Mum's place has some large areas to cover, some of which are quite rocky etc, and you'd be there 50 yrs if you tried hand pulling.
Glyphosate has been used in the past, however I'm not keen on hubby handling it. I never was keen, but he used to insist - now he's heard about glyphosate and feeling his mortality (becoming middle-aged) in one go, so we're looking for an alternative.

Re: Workshop live - Ask your D.I.Y. and garden questions

Just curious if Bunnings stock any pet friendly weed killers? It's a constant battle on the back and frustration levels weeding by hand every 2 weeks. None of the home remedies are working. Got 2 cats and one lives rolling in the garden bed

What have you tried so far @juggalobill? And what kind of weeds are you battling?

Welcome to the Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of helpful advice and project inspiration from our clever and creative members. Feel free to post anytime you need assistance with anything around the house and garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Workshop live - Ask your D.I.Y. and garden questions

Tried something like this @juggalobill?

e2e5483d-d749-40d9-ae90-465e0d9a66ca.jpg 

Lightwood134
Just Starting Out

What can I use on my instant turf to kill off the pink flowering onion weed?

Type of instant turf I have is Kikuyu and that is only come up in the front area not in the backyard is there any spray I can hook up that would be the best solution thank you.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects