Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Avocados in Melbourne

Eric
Cultivating a Following

Avocados in Melbourne

I have a newly cleared spot in the corner of my backyard that I think would work well for an Avocoda tree, or at least my future stomach hopes it will.  I'm just wondering how successful people have been with getting them to fruit consistently in Melbourne?  Were you able to plant Hass or did you go a different variety, and are they self-fertile for you?  I don't think I have room for 2.

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Avocados in Melbourne

I believe Hass is a tropical variety and needs very deep soil. You'll be better to get a variety that suits the Melbourne climate and is more suited to backyards. See if you can find a Bacon - most people think its the best for cold climates. If you get something that's grafted you should be up and running quicker with fruit. You'll also need to get a spot that's frost-free and has good drainage. Use plenty of gypsum and compost before planting. And after planting make sure it gets plenty of water in summer. You don't need two but might get more fruit if you do. They are partially self-fertile, so they can produce fruit on their own but will do better if you pair them up with a tree from the other group. Good luck!

Eric
Cultivating a Following

Thanks a lot for the advice @greygardener!

CathM
Cultivating a Following

Hi Eric, Have a look at Daley's Fruit Trees as they have great information for growing Avocados - http://www.daleysfruit.com.au/search.php?q=avocado

The tree will grow as long as you don't have heavy frosts. Keep it protected from cold winds and in a warm location.

As mentioned, find a variety that will fruit in your climate and consdier growing 2 varieties so you have them fruiting as different times. 

The main thing to keep in mind is to grow them in a well drained location, as they don't like to grow in damp soil.

A raised mound or sloping land is the best location to grow.

Keep us posted on how you go!!

timjeffries
Making a Splash

I'm keen too! Avos are insanely expensive but so so good. :smile: I have a spot that I think might work. Thanks for the tips @CathM

@timjeffries

I saw on Instagram that you have planted some avocado trees. What varieties did you go with? Have you got any tips you can share?

Hope all is well.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I went with Hass and Bacon thanks to the insightful Karen Sutherland - https://youtu.be/CrzeBlKs2s0

So far so good. ☺️

Eric
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for all the advice. I ended up planting a Hass. The spot I put it in was a new garden bed in the highest corner of my yard (so well drained). I planted it in spring and had a shadecloth over it to protect it from the summer sun, but it's now shadecloth free and thriving. I'll post some pics later :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects