Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Autumn vegetable updates please. :)

timjeffries
Making a Splash

Autumn vegetable updates please. :)

Hey everyone, I'm keen to know how the Autumn/Winter veggies are going. I haven't got as much in as I'd like but I have a couple of things that are humming along.

Check out this pic of my garlic from a week ago. :smile:IMG_7771.jpg

If you look closly you'll see I've got some snow peas coming up at the end where I left the trellis up from my tomatoes over summer.

The far bed still has capsicums that continue to produce. I've had these plants in for almost 18 months now. They survived last winter and had a bumper crop this year. I'm wondering/hoping that I'll be able to do the same again. Does anyone know how long they last?

Out the back my strawberries are still firing which is amazing because they're costing about $5 for 15 in the shops now. :unhappy:

I've also planted carrots which seems slow to come up, sugar snap peas and have seed trays full of lettuce, onions, spring onion, kale, silverbeet and coriander. I'll post more photos of them once they're worth looking at. :wink:

What have you got it and how's it looking after this warm autumn we've had?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Autumn vegetable updates please. :)

Great update @timjeffries, many thanks for sharing. You and @Dale seem to be setting the pace. 

Looking forward to seeing updates from other community members. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dale
Having an Impact

@timjeffries nice update!

If I got time over the weekend I'll get some pics of our garden.
diy
Just Starting Out

It will take me a while to get my vegie patch up to scratch, have dug in all the cow dung, then i was layed up for 2 days in pain from digging, so today same thing in agony but later on today i will give it a go at turning over the soil again, i want some advice on what i should put in, i think peas, tomatoes, collie flower cabage, as my vegie garden is fully enclosed with mesh at 50% there is enough light to make everything grow, so some help will be great.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@diy

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. I hope you find the site to be informative, inspiring and plenty of fun. 

Good luck with the vegie patch. It seems like a common request to get suggestions for what to grow at this time of year. @AndrewSa posted something similiar a couple of days ago. Where are you based?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

@diy I highly recommend checking out http://gardenate.com for helpful info on what to plant when. Tomatoes are generally a summer veg so you might not have much luck with them at the moment.

Also if you've just dug in the manure you might want to wait a week or two before planting anything directly into the soil. You can burn plants if the manure hasn't decomposed a bit before it touches them.

Also if you're going to plant cauliflower or cabbage you'll want to find a way to make sure those nasty cabbage moths don't lay their eggs all through them. I use some netting to keep them safe. :wink:

QuailFlock
Having an Impact

What a wonderful front yard veggie patch! So productive too!

A friend of mine had his capsicum plant for the third consecutive year. He overwinter it in his greenhouse and change pot every Spring. Good luck with your capsicum plants.

@QuailFlock wow 3 years! Mine are in a garden bed rather than a pot so I'm not sure how they'll go. I'll persist with them though, hopefully they'll last again. Thanks. :smile:

Very inspiring discussion. I've been dragging my feet starting a vege garden. Unsure if the cold weather is the right time to start. Any advice?

Anytime is a good time. All you need is to plant the right veggies that love the cold and wet. Go down to Bunnings and check out their veggie seedlings aisle in the nursery. Ask the staff for professional advices while you are there.

Good luck and hope that in 4-6 weeks you will be enjoying your yummy produce!

Happy gardening.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects