Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Asiatic lily

edmarie
Growing in Experience

Asiatic lily

I just got this beautiful Asiatic lily from woollies and so I decided to pollinate it using cotton buds hoping I can get seeds from it. Has anyone pollinated a lily before? How long does it take for a lily to germinate seeds? IMG_20180427_130843.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Asiatic lily

That looks really beautiful @edmarie. Let me tag a couple of our resident horticulturalists for you in @Adam_W and @Noelle who might be able to answer your question about pollination. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. We're really pleased to have you as one of our latest Workshop members. Please post whenever you need assistance or have a new project to share. We have lots of community members who are happy to share their experience and knowledge. 

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
edmarie
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Jason

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@edmarie

You might be able to get some seed - you will know if your pollination has been successful in 6-8 weeks if seed pods form.  If they do, leave them on the plant until they are quite brown and start to split, then cut off and put in a brown paper bag until the seeds fall out of the pod.

Sow seeds in a tray of seed raising mix - keep moist but not wet and in a warm place (not in direct sun).

Because you have used pollen from the same flower, which may already be a hybrid variety, there's a chance the seeds will not be viable (alive). If they are and they do grow, don't be disappointed if the seedlings' flowers are variable and don't look anything like the parent! Some may be good, some may be not that great at all.

That's why lilies and lots of other plants are propagated vegetatively (from cuttings, bulbs, grafts, etc) - it's the only sure way to get an exact replica of the parent plant.

edmarie
Growing in Experience

Thanks @Noelle I'll take note to that

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Looks beautiful. Let us know if you have success. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects