Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Ants!

Wendy_S
Growing in Experience

Ants!

Ant season has started and these little critters are aiming for my house.

What's the best way to get them out of the garden, without killing them.

So, ant-friendly in that sense.

Thanks for the tips!
Wendy

joshrowe1
Growing in Experience

Re: Ants!

Could be a complete coincidence, but we planted some citronella plants around our garden and the ants almost completely disappeared. We planted them as to try and keep the mozzies away, and it helped a little. I have heard of people planting mint around their garden as well to keep ants and other pests away. Hope this helps :smile:
"Make something with your hands"
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good discussion, thanks for kicking it off @Wendy_S. And many thanks for adding your experiences @joshrowe1.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop to you both. I hope you both find the site to be informative and inspirational, and plenty of fun. Thanks for joining the community.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Hi @Wendy_S, so you want to keep them out of the garden, not just your house?

Saw one look at the title of this post and could only think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UpPx7E27Bc8

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Any ideas what is drawing them to your house or garden @Wendy_S?

Wendy_S
Growing in Experience

Yes, I would like to keep them out of my garden. Our garden is mostly tiles and they are in the cracks on various places throughout the garden. Corners, underneath the garden chairs/tables. Everywhere. Yesterday I was sweeping to clean a little and call me silly but I feel bad doing that....since there's ants crawling everywhere and I "kill" them with my brushing the tiles. (I mean, I find it difficult to hurt animals, even if they're ants). So, yes, I'd like to get them out of the garden (Shall I make a picture) but in a friendly way

Wendy_S
Growing in Experience

fyi I am in the Netherlands :wink:

@Wendy_S

A few things you can try. Put some water in a spray bottle and add half a dozen drops of lemon juice. Spray it on areas where you've noticed plenty of ant traffic. You can also draw chalk lines. The ants won't cross the chalk. Or if you're a coffee drinker, try coffee grounds - which can help your plants, too! 

A longer term solution is growing plants that ant don't like the smell of, like peppermint, lavender and fennel.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Wendy_S, please take into account, my warped sense of humour, & I'm not sure that this is right for you, because you seem to be a conservationist.
ANSWER:
My suggestion would be to use Paver SealANT, but there's a possibility that they kill seals to make the stuff, which would be a deal breaker for you. : P

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects