Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

A sucker for succulents

Trying
Making a Splash

A sucker for succulents

I've recently discovered succulents. Such delightful plants ! While storing the fire-bowl until next winter I had a brainwave - repurpose the fire-bowl and do something with all those little pots I've been squirreling away near the garden shed. So here is my new, and first, succulent garden, complete with rock rascals just for fun. :bigsmile:DSCN0228.JPGDSCN0228.JPG

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: A sucker for succulents

@Trying, I've been a native only gardener, & only recentish was introduces to succulents, by a time poor neighbour who I'd helped.

I must say, I'm won over, they look amazing & add a new dimension to our little plot.

By the way, what's the name of the variety that look like black river stones with eyes painted on 'em? :puzzled:

Oooops, just realised that they're the rock rascals. :embarassed:

Yep, I fell for it, but they're very cute, & you're very clever. I'll be adding some to our patch. :bigsmile:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great work @Trying. Many thanks for sharing some photos. They really are amazing and beautiful plants. 

Do you share them with friends and family?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Huge fan of succulents after wifey got me hooked. Look great, easy maintenance, very hardy. We've done up a few different displays. The next is a rusted old military storage box (like a tool box) which will get filled with of favs - will share pics soon :smile:

Leah loves to propagate!
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks @Jason for the kind words. I'm afraid some of my family are of the opinion that gifted plants should be viewed in the same manner as if I'd delivered a herd of brumbies to reside in the yard.  Just something else to look after in their busy lives I suppose. I do love them madly of course, the wretches ! My friends are more interested in getting dirty in the wonderful rich soil. Roll on Spring. Cheers

Hey @Andy_Mann glad you're giving it a go, but be warned - those rock rascals are not to be taken lightly. I used runny paint and boy did they sulk. A couple left and went back underground. But they will protect the plants until Winter comes when their contract is up for renewal. Ha ha Cheers.

Hey @ProjectPete love to see some of your succulent pics soon. Meanwhile, what type of medium/soil do you think is best for them ? I got a few holes drilled in the bottom of the bowl and mixed peagravel,a bit of compost and some good quality potting mix together. Do you think they will make it ?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Thanks for the warning @Trying, our rascals had better toughen up, they'll be confronted by our brick/rock/carpet/steel bolt munching pup.

The other day after I'd chipped some tiles off while working in the bathroom, he promptly barged in & eagerly licked away at the render. Do you reckon he might have a mineral deficiency? :wink:

I checked with Tania about succulent soil prep, & she said you just snap a piece off, & bung it straight in the ground, no fancy potting mixes or tonics required.

Will get some pics up soon @Trying :smile:

We just use this mix from our good friends at Bunnings but succulents grow easily in normal sand/soil too. We plonked a few in the front garden bed to propogate and they've gone nuts.

----------
Handy and helpful
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

It's been a while but here's the military box succulent display. Pretty happy with it!

succulent toolbox.jpg

----------
Handy and helpful

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects