Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

wood boat painting

happy
Just Starting Out

wood boat painting

Building a childs electric dingy from marine ply and pine seeking advice on priming to seal from water entering wood

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: wood boat painting

Welcome to Workshop @happy. Many thanks for joining the community. I hope you find plenty of useful advice, information and inspiration on the site. And have plenty of fun, too!

This certainly sounds like a great project. @Brad might have some suggestions for you as he has previously helped another boat builder in @Focusmarine. Other painting experts in the community like @Simon might also be able to offer some assistance.

Thanks again for joining us and please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Evadure seems to be the go to product. Will need a top coat for UV protection and it is a clear finish 2 pack epoxy.

Marine 2 pack epoxy lacks the penetrating quality of Evadure but is a lower price point.

Marine paint or varnish available in colours with some saying epoxy 1 can solution, not sure how that works as my understanding was that epoxy needs a hardener to set.

By pine I take it you mean the general furniture grade and not structural above ground grade or H3/H4 . Untreated pine I would seal after cutting and a test fit up, structural you need to seal the cuts as it has a termite protection and I would take some care with the dust and avoid it if you can.

Best practice would be seal everything before assembly and then seal the screw holes with epoxy. Optional is epoxy on the screws when you drive them in for a near permanent fix and not much chance of correcting mistakes once it has set.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Welcome aboard Workshop's Love Boat @happy, the pay's not good, but we're a team, & it floats my boat. :wink:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Trust you found @Brad's reply very helpful @happy. Please let us know how you go with the project. I'm sure many community members will be keen to see the results of your hard work.

Thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects