Workshop
Ask a question

How to repair this metal bar?

mk1
Cultivating a Following

How to repair this metal bar?

Hi all,

this is a toy car’s rod which connects with the steering to the wheels. It broke down and I have no idea how to get it fixed. Not sure if I should use epoxy or if there is some other way to have a strong bond to connect this broken part  

thanks,

MKED78D9A1-D952-4B1B-8F5C-EE98CE9C2967.jpeg

8A62C3FC-6743-4F2F-85C2-E8D7BC21E485.jpeg

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: repairing this bar (weld or epoxy or something else)

Hello @mk1 

You could go to the steel section at Bunnings and find a hollow aluminum tube that the steel rod will fit in to. You can then use the hollow aluminum tube as a sleeve to join the two broken pieces together. I suggest drilling a small steel self tapping screw to join each end. You could buy a steel rod of the same diameter and copy the length and drill holes in the same area the old rod had essentially making a new one. You could invest in a cheap electric steel welder and discover the joys of welding. Good luck and stay safe!

Cheers,

Red

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mk1,

I see you've already received a great reply from the ever-helpful @redracer01 which I trust you'll find useful. I'd agree with redracer01 that sleeving with a tube would be the best method. The part will have too much torque placed on it and not enough surface area for epoxy to hold sufficiently. You might find a tube similar to Metal Mate 10 x 1mm 3m Aluminium Round Tube would come close in size and you could use self-taping screws as redracer01 suggested or drill straight through the tube and insert split pins.

I would be of the opinion that welding that part would be very difficult unless you already had some experience at welding. However, that opinion is mainly formed from my own experience with welding and knowing I would just melt that piece instead of tacking it. Your experience might differ and it is never bad to learn a new skill, I'd just practise on another piece of metal first.

The talented @Brad might like to give his opinion on welding such a part as he is a skilled welder.

Please let us know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Given there is not a lot of metal left once the hole was drilled there is not a simple way to weld it together that would hold. Sleeve would need to be drilled to match the hole and if welding I would silver solder the sleeve on as capillary action would give the largest surface area to work with and TIG welding would be my 2nd choice given the size your working with.

Pinning the sleeve on lets you use a dissimilar metal tube and if the pieces of rod fitted together nicely ( looks from the photo that they have deformed slightly ) I would epoxy the halves together as every little bit helps.

mk1
Cultivating a Following

A890FFEF-F467-45C1-9CE3-460C73C1078C.jpeg

91BFFF51-8BA2-4E50-8B2B-E4C39B07FE1A.jpeg

Thanks you very much for ur valuable input. Just to add more details please see pictures attached. (It’s not a straight rod)

If I try to fix it with a pipe then it won’t pass through the plastic hole (please see pic with white plastic part ) and that’s the exact point where it got broken as well. 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @mk1,

Many thanks for the additional information. Would you be able to enlarge that hole to accept the new sized pipe sleeve?

If you don't believe you can enlarge the hole then you might like to try Selleys 35ml Araldite Super Strength Epoxy Adhesive. My only concern is the surface area you are gluing is very small and the epoxy will have trouble holding it together.

Please let us know how you go.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JDE
Becoming a Leader

Mk1

Have you considered making cuts above and below the break and sleving above and below the steering bush. By cutting the rod further down you could use the extra bit of rod for the space where you need the hole. As it is a steering arm for I assume an electric buggy I would be concerned about using just epoxy. If you can weld why not get a short piece of rod and replace the section a few inches either side of the break. J D E

Johnnynl
Cultivating a Following

You could stick with the sleeve method by preparing sleeve (or solid rod ip centre) then make holes and pins, nit dont assemble it , put bottom part in first, then top section, which should get everything past the hole, them assemble your sleeve in situ, using araldite glue or similar to glue it and then pin it, personally I would Mig weld the sleeve rather than glue, but u need a little skill welding 1/2-1mm tube, The sleeve (or insert) i would make as long as will fit in situ

Cheers
Johnny

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects