Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Workshop stool

JustJim
Having an Impact

Workshop stool

My back isn't what it used to be, and to be honest, it didn't used to be much good anyway.

So when I found myself hunched over my already raised assembly table doing some sanding the other day I realised that I needed a stool for the shed.

So today I cut two identical sized pieces of scrap film faced plywood and cut a slot down from the top of one and up from the bottom of the other so they'd slide together to make a crossed set of legs. A couple of notches out of each corner and I had a crossed tenon.

Two 300 mm squares of 17 mm plywood were glued together last night and then I cut out a sort of bike saddle shape, routed the edges away with a big roundover bit and chopped out a cross-shaped mortice for the top of the leg pieces.

Tomorrow will be more shaping of the leg pieces (the original idea was to have a circular seat but when that changed the top of the legs became visible around the seat), carving out buttock indentations, sanding and finishing, probably by painting the raw wood parts and leaving the film faced parts as is.

Some WIP photos now and an update in a day or so with the finished stool.

20190316-_5007992-StoolParts.jpg

20190316-_5007993-StoolDryFit.jpg

It's not going to be a comfy armchair for a long fireside session with a good book and a snifter of VSOP cognac, but it will suffice for a quick sit down in the shed and, very important, it won't take up a lot of floor space when it's not in use.

Let me know what you think, or if you have any questions.

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim
JustJim
Having an Impact

Re: Workshop stool

So I used a flap disk on an angle grinder and contoured the sitting surface, rounded over the edges of the legs, especially along the bottom to try to prevent it chipping when it's moved on the concrete floor.

Gave everything a good sanding and a lick of paint. I even painted the film-faced bits because I wasn't SURE it wouldn't stick. It didn't.

Still and all, it'll do to get me a) off my feet a little bit, and b) down closer to workpieces when that is required.20190318-_5007996-StoolPainted.jpg

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim

This is a fantastic idea!! Totally going to steal your idea. Well done!!

No worries. It wasn't my idea in the first place. Very few things are original, after all! :wink:

3x3Custom - Tamar's video

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great project @JustJim, many thanks for sharing. I'm sure this will inspire many other community members and visitors to  Workshop. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects