Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What was the first tool you ever bought?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What was the first tool you ever bought?

Here on Workshop we want to create an inclusive, welcoming community where anyone feels like they can seek help, including absolute beginners. After all, everyone has to start from somewhere. 

Today I thought it would be fun to take you back to when your D.I.Y. or gardening journey was just beginning.

What was the first tool you ever bought or were given?

Jason

Man-With-Tools1.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: What was the first tool you ever bought?

I remember nicking some of my dad's tools that he didn't want anymore when I was young -- a couple of screwdrivers, a chisel, and a hammer, as well as a tired old toolbox he didn't want anymore -- and I've still got them. The toolbox is so faded and missing one of its latches now, but it still works!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Benskimo

No need for guilt, if your Dad had tools that he didn't want any more, you did the right thing by keeping them in the family. ; )

The first tool I purchased was a Trojan screwdriver set from Bunnings quite a few years back. One of the most handiest things I have!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

A big welcome to our latest Workshop members. It's great to have you join us. Perhaps you'd like to introduce yourself by telling us about the first tool you ever bought?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

It might also be useful to share what you think is the most useful or most used tool you own. 

After resisting for a long time I've recently become a bit of a multi-tool convert...

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Now I have a cordless multi-tool it gets used a lot, especially good for flooring.

10.8v tools -
Dustbuster style vacuum.
Mini circular saw

18v tools -
Multi-tool
Impact driver
Saber saw
Worklights

Corded -
Table saw
Compound sliding mitre saw, need to get it out the box to cut up a ton of tas oak mouldings bit of a work of art getting the nuts on some of the stand.

Wish list is a pocket hole machine, biscuit joiner, nailer and caulking gun.
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@Mick0s,

Just saw a mid-century inspired sit-down arcade machine. Perfect for those spouses who don't appreciate the merits of having a more traditional-looking games machine as a coffee table! Perhaps your next project?

MidCentury.jpg

kel
Making a Splash

first tool would had to had been a 4 socket wheel brace
Stephen-H
Building a Reputation

20170913_091624.jpgFirst tool? A seven piece ring spanner set from McEwans in 1976. Still use them regularly

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Hah! Love your McEwans branded spanners @Stephen-H. I've got some old Sidchromes passed on from my old man, which I imagine are pretty common in most Aussie garages.

Here's some McEwans nostalgia!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects