Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What was the first tool you ever bought?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What was the first tool you ever bought?

Here on Workshop we want to create an inclusive, welcoming community where anyone feels like they can seek help, including absolute beginners. After all, everyone has to start from somewhere. 

Today I thought it would be fun to take you back to when your D.I.Y. or gardening journey was just beginning.

What was the first tool you ever bought or were given?

Jason

Man-With-Tools1.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick0s
Having an Impact

Re: What was the first tool you ever bought?

All right, I'll kick this one off.

That's a tough one, but I *think* mine probably would have been a cordless drill (from memory, a $30 Ozito bright orange and purple one).

It was primarily bought when I was looking at turning an old arcade cabinet into a functioning one, but that Idea was abandoned after little progress, and replaced by building a cocktail style one from scratch, cue the purchase of a few more tools like mitre boxes, saws etc.

And in no time at all**...

Arcade_Final_place.jpg

** no time at all = quite a lot of time

Sadly, due to lack of room, that marvellous piece of engineering has now moved on to a better place where someone will love him hopefully as much as I did, and a replacement will eventually be build to replace the void that now exists in my life.

The drill was absolutely worth $30 i paid fr it, and not a buck more, but it did the job at the time.  has since been replaced by the Makita LXT Drill / Driver set, which I am very happy with, but just need some 3Amp batteries! :laugh:

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

I guess my DIY journey started as a teenager still living at home with my parents and using the tools that the family had.
My own collection of tools probably started as I began messing around with cars and from memory I would say a set of Sidchrome ring spanners, which I still have some 45 years on!
Wood Working with Wayne
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

CIG 240v arc welder and chipping hammer in 1980...
Still have both.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

That must have been difficult to part with @Mick0s. I would love to build my own cocktail arcade cabinet and relive my misspent youth. I hope you do manage to build a replacement soon. 

Other Workshop members also posted nostalgically about video game arcades earlier in the year in this discussion - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Outdoor-Living/Show-off-your-mancave/m-p/881

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I remember getting a mini socket set as a kid. I loved playing with it but I didn't have the faintest idea what it was used for/what to do with it. 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

That has jogged my memory, I inherited a small tool set from my grandfather I think in 72, before that I had a carpentry set I may of been 5 at the time. At 12 I could use the metal lathe on my own.
darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

OMG!!!!!  Talk about scrambling the ol' grey matter.  I honestly cannot remember my very first tool, however I remember being given an old hand plane from my grandfather which regrettably I lost during my divorce.  Going to site with my grandfather and apparently helping building houses at 7 years of age.  Still a very vivid memory.  RIP Jim...

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I reckon the first tools I bought were a screwdriver set. I've still got them!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects