Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of hammer?

DeeDee44
Getting Established

What type of hammer?

Hi,

I’m needing a new hammer for just basic diy around the home (inside and out) but there are so many to choose from. Please help? 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What type of Hammer

Good question for your first post @DeeDee44. We all have to start somewhere! I'm sure plenty of Workshop members will be happy to help you with recommendations.

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading all about your projects and plans. Feel free to post anytime you need assistance or have something new to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What type of hammer?

Welcome @DeeDee44 :smile:

For basic DIY, keep it simple with a Stanley claw hammer. The 20oz (the weight of the head) version is solid enough for what you'll need it for without going overboard and adding unnecessary weight/strain when using it.

Yes, you can spend more but there's really no need. Put the $20+ you'll save on this hammer toward your next tool.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Thanks @ProjectPete. I’ve already got a Trojan 16oz Fibreglass Claw hammer and a 8oz (well I think it’s 8oz) claw hammer I purchased years ago. 

The reason for my post is because today while nailing some fence palings back up I found my 16oz just way too heavy and while at Bunnings today looking at all the claw hammers I was finding some were lighter than others even though they said they were 20oz or 16oz. So it’s left me confused lol. 

This is a photo of the Trojan 16oz hammer I already have

image.jpg

Fair enough @DeeDee4. The 'oz' weight is just referring to the head of the hammer. So you could in theory find a 20oz hammer is heavier overall than a 22oz for example.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects