Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's your favourite tool?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

When interviewing Workshop users for our our member profiles, I really like to ask them about their favourite tools. 

@mikedoeslife says his multi-tool is a favourite, but he also loves electric and hand-powered saws. Mike's partner Friedel loves a good paint brush. 

Avid gardener @Tracey has many favourites, including her trusty Felco secateurs and a small pair of vintage shears that are almost child-size but very effective and easy to use.

Meanwhile, @Eric loves his new cordless drill. 

toolbox.JPG 

Let us know by replying below.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: What's your favourite tool?

My fave at the moment would be my telescopic tree pruner. I got sick of the neighbours trees dropping leaves and berries on my driveway so got one. It extends to 6m so you can get pretty high branches without needing a ladder. The only trouble is you have to be wary of cut branches hitting you on the head from a great height!

Dave
Building a Reputation

My favourite tool is the AEG 18v cordless reciprocating saw. its got me out of a few jams. plus it makes so much noise and destroys stuff *grunt*

Dan
Cultivating a Following

Definitely Makita drop saw! Followed closely by my ratchet set, that fixes everything

ro-novation
Cultivating a Following

I picked up a little Ozito Cordless Screwdriver about a year ago - and I think it's great! Having had to move a lot, it's been particulay helpful in deconstructing (and of course, re-constructing) flatpacked furniture. 

@ro-novation wrote:

I picked up a little Ozito Cordless Screwdriver about a year ago - and I think it's great! Having had to move a lot, it's been particulay helpful in deconstructing (and of course, re-constructing) flatpacked furniture. 

I didn't know these existed!  Will definitely be checking those out 

My impact driver... I can't even count how many times it's helped me. I've used it to build a few different contraptions, put together flat-pack furniture and even take some super tight bolts off my car wheels. If you have the right bit, an impact driver can pretty much do everything.

Probably a stupid question Jackson, but how is an impact driver different to a normal drill? 

Not stupid at all, @AndreaNg.

There are two main differences between an impact driver and a cordless drill/driver. Firstly... the impact driver doesn't have a keyless chuck, instead it has a collet that will take any hex-ended bit. It means you can swap bits super quick and you won't have to waste valuable time winding and unwinding a chuck.

The other big difference is the sheer amount of torque that an impact driver can generate. It means that for heavy duty jobs, you're going to have more than enough grunt (like my wheel nut example). A lot of models also have an in-built clutch and when you combine that with the way the inner mechanism of an impact driver works, it means you won't have to worry about stripping screws or the tool being ripped out of your hand when you've over-tightened a screw. The drawback to all this torque is that you probably don't want to be using it for delicate jobs with soft timber as if you're not super careful, you can really do some damage.

I hope that makes sense :smile:

John1
Having an Impact

Love that Cordless Ryobi One +18volt Mower. Only use it on my long nature strip [the council wouldn't let me concrete it]. I get lots of admirers guessing what it is [believe it or not] I even had a bloke down the road told his son it was electric. It does such a great job.
Do the edges with my Ryobi One Whipper Snipper and finish of with the blower all using one charge of my 2 x 4ah. batteries. 18 month same mower same batteries and same blade.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects