Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's your favourite tool?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

When interviewing Workshop users for our our member profiles, I really like to ask them about their favourite tools. 

@mikedoeslife says his multi-tool is a favourite, but he also loves electric and hand-powered saws. Mike's partner Friedel loves a good paint brush. 

Avid gardener @Tracey has many favourites, including her trusty Felco secateurs and a small pair of vintage shears that are almost child-size but very effective and easy to use.

Meanwhile, @Eric loves his new cordless drill. 

toolbox.JPG 

Let us know by replying below.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: What's your favourite tool?

@John1

I can go (Ryobi) one better, I used to mow our lawns with a human powered only, Flymo push cylinder mower.

While doing our verge/nature strip, a self professed engineer asked if it had a heavy flywheel, because it looked so effortless. After I lifted it with 1 finger, I kindly granted his wish to do some mowing. ; )

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Rather than try and explain the difference this Popular Mechanics link covers it all!
(I also cut and pasted the article)
http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/tools/reviews/a3119/cordless-drill-driver-vs-impact-driver-whic...

Cordless Drill/Driver vs Impact Driver: Which Do You Need?

Cordless drills are popular and versatile, but impact drivers can drive screws at astonishing speeds. We'll help you decide which is the best for your shop.

The cordless drill/driver is by far the most popular portable power tool of all time, and it's not going to lose that title anytime soon. However, cordless drills are beginning to lose ground to a relatively new type of cordless tool, the impact driver. That's got do-it-yourselfers everywhere asking questions: What's the difference between a drill/driver and an impact driver? How does an impact driver work? And if I own a drill/driver, why would I need an impact driver?

The result of this combo is raw, unadulterated power.

A cordless drill/driver is a versatile tool that's designed to drill holes and drive screws. Its keyless chuck accepts a wide variety of round- and hex-shank drill bits and screw-driving bits, as well as hole saws, rotary sanders, wire-wheel brushes, and other accessories. All cordless drill/drivers are also equipped with a slip clutch that allows you to adjust the amount of torque for precise, consistent screwdriving.

An impact driver looks similar to a drill/driver but for one noticeable distinction—instead of a keyless chuck, it has a collet that accepts hex-shanked driver bits. This tool is specially engineered to do one job: drive screws, which it does faster and easier than any other tool. Impact drivers can drive long, large fasteners—including fat lag screws—that would stall the very best drill/driver.

The impact driver uses both bit rotation and concussive blows to power-drive screws through the thickest, densest woods. The result of this combo is raw, unadulterated power. In fact, impact drivers typically deliver two to three times more turning force (torque) than the average drill/driver. How powerful? During a recent Popular Mechanics tool test, one 18-volt impact driver drove an astonishing 138 3-inch lag screws on a single charge. Despite its brute strength, an impact driver is easy and comfortable to use because the concussive action transfers much of that high-energy torque directly to the screw, not to your wrist or forearm. (An impact driver does not have a slip clutch, but the concussive action allows you to drive screws with great control and precision.)

So, if you're planning projects that require driving a ton of screws, or a lot of very large or long screws, then consider an impact driver. For example, impact drivers are ideal for building decks, installing tile backer board, and screwing down plywood subfloors. If you're not planning to work on such projects, you might want to stick with the versatility of the cordless drill/driver. However, the gap between these two useful tools might be closing: Some manufacturers now offer drill chucks and other hole-drilling accessories for use in an impact driver.

Wood Working with Wayne
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

My most used tool would be a Makita Brushless Impact Drill/Driver with a 3ah battery pack. I use it virtually everyday it can drive a 3" screw with ease, I also use it for drilling and the quick change Collet makes changing bits a dream.

But my favourite tool is my Sheppach Bench Top Router
It has variable speed between 8000 & 24000rpm
Adjustable spindle height from 0 - 40mm (via machine wheel handle)
and it comes with both 1/4" and 1/2" Collets
scheppach router.jpg
The supplied Fence setup isn't real flash but mostly I use it with bearing bits, I can roundover or bevel a timber edge quickly and easily.

Wood Working with Wayne
bergs
Making a Splash

Hi, I must concur :smile:with Wayne re the impact driver.

I bought a twin case with a cordless drill and impact driver and have used them both countless times:love:. I also have a electric drill press and if it packed it in it would be replaced immediately. Various hammers are without a doubt still quite necessary (at least for me):crazy:. Angle grinder also comes in handy.

For the garden a long handled spade saves your back a bit, as does a long handled shovel. A crowbar is very essential for removing old stumps etc. and as a heavy duty lever if required at anytime.

I always carry my secateurs in a holster on my belt so I don't have to wonder where I used them or left them last. A pouch to carry a small knife on your belt is always handy as there is always something you need to cut.

I keep both the latter sharp and in good condition as it tends to make the job at hand easier. 

All tools are cleaned up and stored away in cupboards to be easily found in good condition when needed next.

Cheers🍻bergs

Be happy and care for your tools
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's been great to see so many new members join in the discussions on Workshop recently. 

I thought I would revive this old topic as I'm sure new community members would have plenty to contribute. 

Jason

I nominate the humble paintbrush.
sprayman
Getting Established

Gotta admit.
My dremel is probably my favourite tool I use.
However.
Every new tool I buy becomes my favourite for a while. 😇
The problem is with working for bunnings, I see so many great deals on tools its hard to resist.
My wife will look to see if I bring anything new home on payday.
So i sometimes leave it in the boot of the car for a few days.
🤐😎
Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

Found this adjustable pry-bar very useful for removing skirting boards (and many other things) when we were laying floating floor...

Cresent Pry BarCresent Pry Bar

I know this is an old thread,  but my new absolute favourite toy  tool is my Ryobi 18v Multi Tool Here 

I've only had it a week, and my Financial Controller (the wife) wondered why I bought it.  So far I've used it to repair a hole with a piece of wood cut to size (old patio floor board) and to be honest, the wood had begun to rot because It got wet from drips.  I cut away the rotting part of the floorboard and trimmed it, cut a new piece to fit and it fitted perfectly (across a joist). I've put some wood "putty" around the edges.  It needs sanding back, and this may require a visit to Bunnings to get a better sander than the detail sander I have.

This was my absolute first time I've ever done anything like that.  I watched a heap of YouTube videos on how to do it before I attempted it.  

I've also used the scraper blade to scrape away some old paint, this was terrific, and didn't bite into the wood.  The same scraper is the best thing for removing my 3D prints from the printer bed, because I can use the variable speed, and it doesn't damage the print bed.

I think this might be my favourite tool for a long time to come, and since my Financial Controller has seen me work with it, there are a few jobs around the house she is suggesting i do in my spare time (what spare time?)

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

I'm seriously considering one of these, @Walter. It's always been on my list of tools I'd like to have, but I've never gone through with a purchase as I can kind of do everything it can with other tools. However, there are many times where my current tools won't do the job, and something more precise would be helpful. For instance, I can't do detail sanding with my current sanders, and the Multi-tool would be perfect for that. I also like the idea of being able to cut directly into a flat surface with the blade attachment, as that's not really something any other tools can do easily.

It would be great to see an image of your floorboard repair once you've completed it.

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects