Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Using an epoxy kit in the garage

maknilsin
Making a Splash

Using an epoxy kit in the garage

I've recently been looking at this product after I saw an ad on TV for it: http://www.bunnings.com.au/dy-mark-8l-epoxy-slate-garage-floor-coating-kit_p1580415

Has anyone had any experience using a product like this? I'm really tempted as I feel like sealing up the garage floor this way will make the space far more versatile as more than just a place to store my car.

Re: Using an epoxy kit in the garage

Hey guys,
I just stumbled upon this thread. Let me share some more useful information to this:
@maknilsin: please consider reading this brief article on Epoxy coating DIY before actually doing it: http://bit.ly/2rtBlum
It describes why the coating might fail before it is anticipated. you might find it useful.
@ John1 : appreciate your time explaining all those details, however, a lot of them are completely wrong. Epoxies are a family of polymers, used for so many purposes from glues to fiber glasses and also, constructions resins, what you know as Epoxy resins, aka. epoxy floor resins, aka. epoxy coating.
Polyurethanes are also a family of polymers that are used in so many applications. They can be extremely brittle, such as top coat of automobile coatings, and can be flexible, such as a lot of self level products out there.
SO,........ What is know as epoxy DIY kit, is in fact, an epoxy paint. It is a one-pack product. Even if you guys wanna do it by yourself, please consider hiring a grinder for a day, and also please consider buying a two pack product from a well-known producer. If in Australia, we have some high quality brands like, Sika, Dulux and even Hychem.
Wish you luck for your next flooring project.

Welcome to Workshop and thanks for joining in the discussion @pooyansajjadi. It sounds like you have a lot of experience you can share with the community. Looking forward to reading more of your posts soon.

Community member @maknilsin did end up doing his garage floor. He documented the project here - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Interiors/Easter-Project-Epoxy-Garage-Floor/m-p/11593

Thanks again for sharing your expertise. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
sgblackbird
Just Starting Out

I just used this today. It went down easy and there is plenty in the tin to cover the area they claim. I bought extra sprinkles as I didnt want to run out. Glad I did. Great product and the floor looks great, now to see how long it lasts

Thanks for sharing your experience @sgblackbird. It would be great to see some photos if you are able to share some.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're really pleased you could join us and trust that you will receive lots of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our community members. 

Feel free to post whenever you need assistance or have something new to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects