Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Turning a shed into a granny flat

Angelina
Growing in Experience

Turning a shed into a granny flat

Hi everyone

We are in the process of buying a property which has this large shed at the end of the garden.  The block is a fair size at 1200sqm so ideally we would like to convert this into a type fo granny flat - the shed is 9m x 4.5m - really for our son to use more of as he gets older and for somewhere for friends to stay.

I was thinking of double doors to replace the roller doors and a large window where the smaller window is, relacing the roof with colourbond and then painting it a light grey with white trim and maybe adding a deck to the front.  

Does anyone have any advice on the process and planning?

Thanks

Shed.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Shed Renovation

This looks like it has fantastic potential @Angelina

I'm sure Workshop members will be able to assist. You might also find these previous discussions helpful:

Hope that helps get you started.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

What are the walls made from @Angelina?

Angelina
Growing in Experience

Thanks Jason!  Those links are great resources!  Will do some reading now!  Getting exicted about the idea of creatiing!  Thanks!

Angelina
Growing in Experience

Hi Kermit!

The exterior walls are weatherboard, they look the same colour and material as the house.  Inside it is as basic as can be, concrete floor and just a framework of wood and metal.

:smile:

Hi Angelina
Firstly, you should contact your local Council/town planner to find out what you are permitted to do and the restrictions on the building and to ascertain if you need approval, if someone is going to live in it.....not so important if you are making small changes for your family to use as you describe above.
Secondly, depending upon the year the original garage was constructed, that 'weatherboard' walls may be asbestos and from looking at the picture, I believe that the roof will be too.
So call in an asbestos removal company before you start working on the building for their opinion. Better to be safe than sorry.
Your idea of replacing the doors and windows is great....Or, you could replace one of the garage doors with a single entry door plus window if you wanted to make a proper looking entry. A definite yes to the deck. Paint colours: for a dark grey roof Colorbond Monument is one of my favourites and light walls, then Taubmans Twill is a nice light grey. Or visaversa....light grey roof Colourbond Shale Grey and walls in Colorbond Monument.....or a really nice medium to dark grey is Dulux Timeless Grey.
I'm excited for you. Great project
Creating a beautiful home on a budget
Angelina
Growing in Experience

Thanks Belinda!

I have beenon the phone to council this week and finally have an answer, which is that we can probbaly put a toilet and sink in there, but myabe not a full bathroom and kitchen.  Which is fine.  There are edrooms plus a study in the main house and only 3 of us, so we're not despertae to create another dwelling, but it would have been nice to have the option.  

Anyhow, from the building inspection the walls are timber frame with hardiplank cladding and the roof is corrugated steel and polycarbonate sheeting.  So no asbetstos which is a relief!

Love the ideas on the colours, we want to ideally tie it in with the same colours on the house, which a nice light grey wall, white trim and maybe a dark roof would be so nice.  Just need to pay for it all now.

We move in in 5 weeks, so am in full on planning nad list maing mood - very excited and feeling relieved to have a community of advise and expertise to help me guide me through this unknown and bewildering process!

Thank you!!!

Gksalman
Just Starting Out

Before you get started you have to consider whether the existing timber framing has an flashing or barrier to prevent termites in the future. Most sheds or garages do not have such a barrier because the internal walls were meant to remain showing the timber framing and because termites don't like being exposed to light and so this is fine. However as soon as you sheet the walls with gyprock you've created the dark environment that will attract termites. The other thing on the same vein is to consider water and if there is any damp around the structure ensure you have effective guttering and that water flows away from the structure. No point converting the shed if it's going to rot away.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great advice @Gksalman, many thanks for joining in the discussion. It sounds as though you have a lot of knowledge and experience to share and we look forward to reading more of your posts soon. We hope you also get loads of helpful information and inspiration for your projects from our members. 

Welcome to the community, and please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most out of Workshop or have any feedback about how we can make the site more useful to you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Turning a shed into a granny flat

Hello @Angelina, I was wondering how far you have progressed with your granny flat. If it is finished we at the workshop community would love to see the final results! Hope to hear from you soon.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects