Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tools - battery or corded?

Rhys
Junior Contributor

Re: Tools - battery or corded?

you can get cordless tools now that are just as powerful if not more than corded tools, and are a lot more convenient, your best bet is to get cordless

Rhys
Junior Contributor

One way to stop that is to put the battery on charge after you stop using it so you know it will always be charged

DCS
New Contributor

I realise that I'm replying to a post that is over 18 months old, but I'm going to post anyway.

Cordless or Electric? That is the question... I believe it all has to do with the type of job you are trying to complete. For most jobs, cordless will suffice. But when you need to use your tool for extendend periods, corded is necessary.

I've been using the Ryobi One + range since it was released some 10 years ago and have found their range to be impressive, practical, and downright sufficient for 90% of the jobs I do. The way I choose which tool to use, is I generally start with the cordless and if I use up a battery quickly, then I switch to corded. And 90% of the time I can complete the job using only 1 or 2 batteries. Now that Ryobi has released the 5Ah batteries, they last a lot longer on the tools that eat up the power, like the grinder, or drop saw, or chain saw.

And the biggest convenience is that I can use the same battery for the entire range of 30 or more tools.

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your experiences @DCS. Nothing wrong with reviving an old topic, particularly one that doesn't date like this one. 

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery
Ben
Established Contributor

I recently bought a new mower and line trimmer, and went with the Ryobi 36V battery kit. Was thinking Victa or AEG when I entered Mornington Bunnings, but the power garden team member (Dave) was awesome and asked me a few probing questions to work out what was best for me. My block is split level and has a few stairs to carry the mower up and down from, so weight was a factor and the Ryobi is made of tough plastic, so that was the key deciding factor. Couldn't be happier - have since added the jet blower to the kit, too. I would have around 300 square metres of grass to mow and the single 36V 5.0AH battery charge gets me through the lot.
Beachbox
Junior Contributor

I have a one word answer - MAKITA!

No really, I agree with most of all the other posts here,just depends on what job you are doing, I'd say in any typical day I would use 3 battery operated tools and 3 power tools, so a combo of both.

Highlighted
Noyade
Junior Contributor

Browsing Bunnings the other day - and I could well be wrong - but I thought I saw more battery powered chainsaw choices than petrol powered.
Sales staff told me "soon" 2-stroke motors will be a "thing of the past". ??

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects