Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

Seaton
Having an Impact

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

IMG_1266.JPG

G’day one and all,

Ive just come across this site - how awesome is it!  

Anyway i’ll kick off my fist post with my 12x6 timber framed double garage and workshop I’ve been building over the last three weeks with my friend who’s a retired builder.  It’s soooo close to completion I can almost taste it haha

its now at lockup stage and I’ve been scouting around for workshop ideas (and how I found this site)

I’ll post some photos of the progress so far.  However I’m looking for inspiration for my workshop layout now everything’s at lockup.

Power was just connected last week so have been busy this wet and windy weekend in WA in getting all power points laid out ready for wiring. 

Bunnings timber arrives and studs are cutBunnings timber arrives and studs are cut75768216-63B7-4739-BB46-D2CBE94CF3C8.jpeg

Updates to the Build

Made some progress on power and lights over the weekend.  

Highbay light is now in and working - a 200w UFO highbay LED so lots of beautiful bright light in the main garage area.  I'm waiting on some LED transformers before I can finish the workshop lighting, at the moment the highbay in the main garage provides plenty of ambient in there with the help of some work lights.  The phones auto exposure on the camera has darkened down the photo and is alot brighter than it appears.

IMG_1347.JPG

Garage door opener also wired in and working so no more extension cord hanging in the air.

Power points are also down one side of the workshop and since I have power and power points I now have data to the workshop as I'm using a powerline modem to temporarily get internet out to an accesspoint.  I have run a seperate conduit for data, just havent pulled through the cable yet so this will work in the meantime as a temporary solution.

And now my 3D Printeers have a home.

IMG_3737.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Updates to the Build

Great progress! Thanks for the update. 

What do you mainly use the 3D printers for @Seaton?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Seaton
Having an Impact

Hi @Jason Mostly for prototypes of embedded devices I build, also my hobbies, I also do paid prints for others via online service bureaus.  

Believe it or not I've actually used it to print a number of things around the home, curtain rail ends, hose adapters, replacement parts for the car and diswasher and just anything else I can cad up a replacement for.  I've even used a 3D scanner to scan a broken part and then printed it's replacement.

The latest edition is my resin printer the resolution is unbelievable.

IMG_1280.JPG

IMG_1278.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great stuff @Seaton ,

I think using a 3D printer for creating replacement parts is really smart and hopefully helps extend the life of items that would otherwise be thrown out. 

There's been a few discussions on Workshop about 3D printing but not for a while. You might be interested in reviving the topics:

Jason

Re: Workshop build nearing completion

well done. Overall how much a meter did it work out to be?

Thanks for joining in the discussion @naokokb73. I'm sure @Seaton will get back to you as soon as possible with a rough idea of costing if he is able to share. 

Welcome to Workshop. We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans. Got anything similar planned?

Jason

@naokokb73 costs to date I've spend $184/sqm. 

Not included in the costings:

• Pre-construction costs such as Drafting/Engineering/Building and Planning Application etc
  • original earthworks, which was to clear and level our entire back yard (Garage build is stage 1, Stage 2 is a 2x1 extension joining the Garage to the house.)
  • Tools I purchased :laugh:

Included in costs (pretty much everything else):

• Cleanup, Sand and compaction/testing for the pad and the pad itself.  
  • All Timber
  • All Cladding, Roof, Flashing and Insulation
  • All fixtures/ties etc
  • brickwork for parrapet wall
  • Gutters and underground stormwater pipe for downpipes (no downpipes or soakwell in as yet)
  • Mezzanie
  • Doors external and internal / Weather seals + fixtures
  • Windows
  • two coats of two part epoxy for concrete floor
  • Garage Door + Remotes
  • Electrical To Date - 3-Phase conversion to property / 3-Phase Cable to Building from house / Conduit / Sub-board / Swithes / Brackets / RCD Breakers / Power Points / Lights / Cable / Licensed Electrician for testing + tickets

Costs still outstanding / todo:

• Crossover
  • Downpipes + Soakwell
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Seaton
Thanks for sharing, That's a great price

Thanks @BIM_Engineer I'm pretty happy with it - I'm glad I built as much as I could myself, but also having someone with the knowledge and experience willing to help me has been invaluable and not to forget mentioning mates helping out where extra hands were needed.

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

I would also be pretty happy to have a 72m2 shed/workshop for that price, but the reality is most Battlers & Punters are probably confused and are thinking
1. My comparison quotes/prices are 3 times that ($600+ per m2) ...what's a fair price?
2. Where's the quants and data and does those prices relate to me, DIY, DI4Me,...?
3. Do I have all the information and is it compliant, how do I check?
4. I work Full time how long would it take to do it on my own, what's the economic cost, alternatives?
5. Can I trust air tasker and find someone?

These are the questions I get asked weekly..LOL, my replies vary
OT looking at photos without data confusers most, including me at times. my2c

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects