Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

Seaton
Having an Impact

Timber framed double garage and workshop build

IMG_1266.JPG

G’day one and all,

Ive just come across this site - how awesome is it!  

Anyway i’ll kick off my fist post with my 12x6 timber framed double garage and workshop I’ve been building over the last three weeks with my friend who’s a retired builder.  It’s soooo close to completion I can almost taste it haha

its now at lockup stage and I’ve been scouting around for workshop ideas (and how I found this site)

I’ll post some photos of the progress so far.  However I’m looking for inspiration for my workshop layout now everything’s at lockup.

Power was just connected last week so have been busy this wet and windy weekend in WA in getting all power points laid out ready for wiring. 

Bunnings timber arrives and studs are cutBunnings timber arrives and studs are cut75768216-63B7-4739-BB46-D2CBE94CF3C8.jpeg

Re: Workshop build

Hi BIM,

thanks for your comments. Good to know re concrete.  I am having a glulam frame( they are designing  re loads and wind factors), corrugated roof and concrete slab , 8 barn doors etc. I have a town planner  employed now  and a draftman as well. I was going to do it myself but I think I'll have a time problem. I'll look for a project manager I think.the stylethe style

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Re: Workshop build

My shed is $50K Retail using Glulam the $hed will be double that?
I suggest you get the Building designed/engineered, detailed, specified and quantified using 3D Bim Software,
for more accurate costings and for quote comparisons,etc,etc hth

Nice looking shed with cupola roof vent, I am guessing they are stables?

Then a monitor sissor Truss roof with windows would look a treat IMO

Sissors Truss.jpg

breepbreep
Getting Established

Re: Workshop build nearing completion

@Seaton 

May I please ask what brand epoxy you used?

Re: Workshop build nearing completion

Sorry for the late reply @breepbreep. I can’t remember the exact brand however I went to the local paint shop and they were very helpful in their recommendations

Seaton
Having an Impact

Re: Timber framed double garage and workshop build

It's been a while since I’ve made any posts, but have been busy with work, study and also building stage two, that is a 2x1 extension joining the garage workshop to the existing house which is just about finished.  However I'm going to be making the most of my current annual leave and just intend spending time in my garage and workshop :cheeky: so the extension can wait a bit, I’m just finishing up the wiring before drywalling, however we're at lockup now. 

This is an earlier picture 

87FB4349-13C2-471E-A5CA-3FCEF3B913DA.jpeg

My garage is pretty full at the moment thanks to me emptying my storage units, so i intend to get stuck into sorting and unpacking in the coming weeks.

Ive started using the workshop although I still haven’t built any benches yet however hope to get around on these shortly.  My laser cutter is now installed and working where I’ve put the noisy extraction fan up on the mezzanine floor and venting to the outside, all controlled by a Bunnings Arlec remote controlled Power-Point  https://www.bunnings.com.au/arlec-remote-controlled-power-outlet-twin-pack_p0095172

It works really well and I intend to extend the extraction system into a dust extraction for other tools as I get to them.

Laser Cutter In its new homeLaser Cutter In its new home

Ive used a Bunnings storage container along with some barbed air fittings as the lasers self contained cooling system that sits neatly underneath the unit so I can move the laser cutter around without having to worry about the water cooling getting in the way.

Laser Water CoolingLaser Water Cooling

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Seaton.

Thanks for the update on your projects, it's great to see everything progressing along nicely! Smart thinking by relocating the laser cutter extraction unit elsewhere and using the Arlec remote controlled power outlet.

Have you created any interesting items on your laser cutter or 3d printer lately?

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi @MitchellMc 

unfortunately not lately, however that may change that I'm now on some annual leave.

My wife currently uses it more than me atm, as she's been doing some designer handbag handles with it.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @Seaton.

It's great to hear you have some time off away from work. Please keep us updated if you do start any great projects or have something to share.

Mitchell

HandyAndy
Building a Reputation

wowee! what a workshop, and some wicked toys, I'm super jealous.

I too am a sparky, currently working in electrical design/drafting, don't get to play with a 3D printer, but we have a laser machine - only for upto 6mm acrylics, but it's pretty fun.

love the project mate, well done

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi @Seaton,

Hope you're well.

Your project has been really popular with over 15,000 views. Since it's been some time since your last update, I wondered if you could share any progress you've made.

Thanks,

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects