Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The Great Power Tools Debate - What is the best brand?

JoshRaf
Junior Contributor

The Great Power Tools Debate - What is the best brand?

Hi All, I wanted to know what everyones opinions are on what  you think the best brands of power tools are for proffessionals, the at home DIYer and the one time users.

My personal preferences are as follows: 

Proffessional (top of the range):

1. DeWalt

2. Makita 

3. AEG

4. Bosche Blue

DIYer:

1. Ryobi

2. Bosche Green

3. Ozito Power Xchange (red)

One time user:

1. Ozito

2. XU1

Batman
New Contributor

Re: The Great Power Tools Debate - What is the best brand?

AEG all the way!

Brad
Valued Contributor

You did leave out Festool, I can't justify the 4x price premium.
Hilti that they would rather rent you tools.
Milwaukee was a bit meh at their offering.

Triton router to put in a table is almost a given.

I went Bosch blue as it had most of what I wanted even if I have to import the 32mm guide rail and the 18v nailer seems to have vanished from sale. Over.
AEG nice black kit was missing things that I wanted though.
DeWalt was close to what I wanted.

I do have another brand drill kit that is fast to discharge and slow to recharge.
Some corded metalworking tools mostly Makita.
Ozito plunge saw that I got just before the Triton hobby saw was released.
Got a replacement table saw for the one my father built ordered today.
Cheap nasty mitre saw will go soon.
Some corded Bosch green.

Garden went Ozito for the cordless blower vac, it struggles in the war on gumnuts but the trimmer and shears are ok.
darylhewston
Super Contributor

@JoshRaf

I would agree with your selection of brands for that purpose.  I had a full suite of Hilti cordless tools but recently sold them because spares/repairs were too expensive.  

I have a full suite of Ryobi 18+ that my apprentices over the last 6-7 years have abused and all are still going strong (abeit a bit worse for wear).  These I also use in the shed at home.

I fully recommend Makita power tools.  Have heard too many complaints about their cordless models (skins ok but battery life a bit disappointing).  

DeWalt is made by Black and Decker and I have noticed over the years that they seem to be dwindling away, especially in the building trade.

Bosch Blue look very interesting and I recently bought a laser line level which is quiet good and very accurate.  I will be looking to replace my current gear with this in the future.  However not all their product range is actually available in Australia and I need to investigate after sales service/spares.  

Festool is a great brand also, but $100 for 5 replacement bags for a vacuum is going a bit too far.  Not recommended for DIY.

The problem with cordless tools are, if you don't use them, the battery will eventually die and you won't be able to re-charge them.  So even for occasional use, I would still recommend a brand which converts to trickle charge so you can maintain your battery.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

T-Bear
Budding Contributor

@JoshRaf - I am a huge Ryobi fan (especially the 1+ range). I have used them for all my home renovations projects to date and continue to increase the collection.
Reliable, robust, reasonably priced and not bad looking tools.

Keep up the good work!

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects