Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

The Granny Flat

ronmack
Growing in Experience

The Granny Flat

Hi All,

I am a few months into building a granny flat in a 6x6 shed.

I have started from scratch and am 'Youtubing' and 'googling' my way through it, with some help also from the Bunnings DIY vids. I have a background in mechanical trades but not in building, so it has been a fair learning curve getting into wall framing, gyprocking, setting out plumbing and electrical, etc.

I am getting close to finishing the bedroom, then will move on to installing the kitchen. The last of the three main areas and probably the biggest challenge will be the bathroom.

If I can work out how to post pics here I will put up a couple of progressive shots ...

Ron

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: The Granny Flat

Welcome to Workshop Ron (@ronmack). It is great to have you join the community. 

It sounds like a fantastic project. I'm sure the Workshop community will be very keen to follow your progress from start to finish.

Here's a few other posts that you might be interested in:

Would you build a granny flat in your backyard?

From old shed to funky studio

Backyard games room project 

Old garage to pool cabana

Posting images in a discussion is relatively simple. You just click on the insert/edit image button at the top of the text editing box. It is the fifth button along and looks like a landscape painting. You can choose what size you'd like the picture to appear and add multiple photos to a post. Please let me know if you have any trouble. You can also learn more on the Workshop help section.

Thanks again for sharing. I'm looking forward to seeing your handiwork soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Wow, big project! I look forward to reading more about it.

ronmack
Growing in Experience

Found some of the earlier pics. Here are the first three:

The earliest pic of the jobDefining bedroom and kitchenDefining bathroom

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for sharing some photos @ronmack. Looking forward to seeing progress.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is the project going @ronmack? Hope all is well. I'm keen to see how its progressing.

Jason

ronmack
Growing in Experience

Here's the next couple of pics ... Roughing in some of the elec, and on with the paneling:image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @ronmack,

Hope all is well.

It's been a while since we saw you on Workshop and we'd love to see an update on the granny flat. If you can share some new photos and give us an update it would be fantastic to see what you've done. I'm sure it would inspire other community members. 

All the best,

Jason

ronmack
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason,

I have not been working on the Granny Flat since late last year as my attention has been with selling our home (and all the work that entailed getting it ready!)

Unfortunately, that has now absorbed more time than I had hoped and I am sitting still until my next 'pot of gold' allows me to continue.

Here are another couple of pics showing:

1. ensuite on left and bedroom on right.

2. bedroom on left and kitchen on right.

3. kitchen installation almost complete.

Hopefully my next update won't be so long away!

Cheers.

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6271.JPG

IMG_6522.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @ronmack. It's looking great.

All the best with your house sale. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects