Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Shopping for a table saw

Bizebod
Cultivating a Following

Shopping for a table saw

TableSaw.jpg

I am looking for an inexpensive, safe and useful table saw to make my little projects both easier to repeat and complete.

i didn't want to spend more than 200.00, so I am limited for choices.

Most of the projects I undertake are with re-claimed wood or off-cuts so it still needs to be solid and capable to cut various hardwoods.

Any ideas?

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Table saws?

Bella
Growing in Experience

I too saw that Aldi had one less than a month ago for under $200. My problem with Aldi electrical appliances (of any sort- computing, radio, big appliances, small ones) is that I've always had to take things back. If they were actually working when I got them home, they only lasted a couple of weeks. I've learnt my lesson well and no longer buy electrical goods from Aldi. 

I've also learnt that cheaper tools generally are harder to work with, in the long run. I don't have a lot of $ to spare, but try to get the best I can afford- even if it's second hand. 

There are, of course, 'men's sheds' around that often have the equipment you need. The problem is- the hours are limited and you have to lug your project to the shed. (Also, they're not women-friendly so I can't go and use their equipment!) The plus to the Men's Shed movement is that you'll have some company and often find some good advice. There'll also be someone there to dial triple 0 when you have an accident! 

LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Hey hate,
I’ve got this Ryobi table saw, nothing flash but does a perfect job for what I use it for and that’s Soft wood pallet timber.

Where do you live mate ? I’m thinking of getting the Ryobi one from Bunnings,
Stephen-H
Building a Reputation

Hi @Bizebod, I had a Triton 2000 work centre for years.It was the only thing I could afford at the time, also got the router/jig saw table and with these I have build many projects over the years. Accuracy is pretty good, but adjusting the depth of the saw or router is awkward. I have thought of upgrading to 'better' tables but cannot justify the cost. Triton's can be picked up on ebay/gumtree for a few hindered dollars. The Mark 3 is ok but the 2000 I find a better unit. Hope this helps

Bizebod
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your response.
I am heading toward the Ozito, as Santa was kind enough to drop off a couple of 100.00 vouchers. Stil not convinced it's the right thing to do, but for the basic repetitive cuts I am planning I think it will suffice.
Bizebod
Cultivating a Following

Northern New South Wales, near the tweed.

Hi,

I too have the Ozito saw, It pretty much does all I need and I do agree with you about the ripping fence. Would it be possible to post a photo of what you did?

Thanks,

Woodsy

Hi @Woodsy Sorry for the lat reply in regards to pictures of the guide rail. Busy time with Xmas. Below are a couple of pictures. Everything was custum made for the job. I bought a 10x20 hollow alloy bar and ripped a track in the centre of one side to make a T-track for the guide rail to move on.

P1050147.JPG

P1050148.JPG

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"My problem with Aldi electrical appliances (of any sort- computing, radio, big appliances, small ones) is that I've always had to take things back. If they were actually working when I got them home, they only lasted a couple of weeks. I've learnt my lesson well and no longer buy electrical goods from Aldi"

Bizarrely - I love taking things back to Aldi. I like to patiently wait in line with a smile on my face and when it's my turn I go into great detail with what's wrong with the product. Unlike other hardware/tool places there's no Spanish Inquisition and to shut me up and get me out of the line they quickly return my money. One day I returned three products at different times and got to know the checkout girl quite well. A great way to meet people and hone the explanation skills.

Very old thread I know but just thought I would add that I have three table saws one being the Aldi version mentioned above - I have had it for 10 years and it is still being used, I like to use it for pallet and reclaimed timber use because my good blades are on my better table :-(. I am not sure how the latest one compares but that is probably one of the best buys I have ever made - but it was $150 10 years ago - goodness knows what cuts they have had to make to keep it at that price today.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects