Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sawmaster

Highlighted
Established Contributor

Sawmaster

Australian designed (with some modifications), Australian built. Circa 1955. Two HP motor, 12" blade and twin belt.

Keep your fingers away....

20191210_115931.jpg

Highlighted
Super Contributor

Re: Sawmaster

What a lovely bit of old gear!

They new how to make them in those days..built like brick s...house and built to last a 100 years!! 😁

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Noyade fantastic bit of kit, is it yours? Could you share anymore details like where it came from or how it is still in operation, was it restored/ maintained, how does it compare to current saws on the market. Very interesting indeed!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Highlighted
Established Contributor

G'day Mitchell.

Yes, it belonged to my father who was a builder and he was still using it in his 70's but by then he was more reliant on his German ELU saws.

I have the original pamphlet (somewhere) describing all its virtues and capabilities but essentially it was a framing saw that rested on the floor of the house being constructed. This explains why there was even a table saw kit that attached to it once the blade/motor was swung 180 degrees. But dad built a frame for it so that it was at a more workable height. I suppose it is similar in a way to a radial arm saw.

I made it mobile and replaced the bench wood.

But it is very heavy and I believe modern day sliding compound mitre saws would outperform it.

Nevertheless it is extremely nostalgic to occasionally fire it up!  😁

Cheers.

Graeme.

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

@Noyade Awesome, some of my grandfather's tools are my most prized possessions. No doubt they would be out preformed by modern day equivalents, but you certainly can't put a price on the nostalgia. 

Great to hear about its history, I hope to see on Workshop any projects you build with it. Thanks!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects