Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Retrive/Reuse sanding pads

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Retrive/Reuse sanding pads

Do you get bugged off with the amount of sanding pads you go through and how much you pay for new pads? Ever though of recovering and reusing them over and over untill there is no material left to sand with.

Well there is a way which will save you some money and a little bit of time.

Attachet is a series of photos on how to do so.

How to recover sanding pads, grab a bottle of Simple Green from Bunnngs, from the cleaning section and mix in a spray bottle the desired amount. The stronger the mix may not be the best. But mix up what you think may work for you. the thicker the cloging on the pad the stronger you may need.

Next spray a little onto the pad and let sit for a min or two. you may need to let stand a bit longet depending on how thck the clogging  is. Then wash off

You may need to us a scrubbing brush if its really thick but let is soak for a bit longer

Allow to dry . when dry go for it continue sanding. By the way sanding paper not much chop 

I have used this method to recover sanding pads when sanding pine. 

Used sanding with burned in materialUsed sanding with burned in materialSolution sprayed onto padSolution sprayed onto padIMG_1562.jpgIMG_1563.jpgIMG_1564.jpgIMG_1565.jpg

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Retrive/Reuse sanding pads

Thanks for the tip @r23on.

I've got a Bosch green orbital sander and the problem I have is not that the pads wear out too quickly, but that they just don't stick to the sander very well at all. And once they fly off the first time, you've got little/no hope of getting them to stick down again. I'd love to hear any tips from anyone about the problem. I'm not sure whether its the velcro loops on the sander, or the pads themselves, or both. 

r23on
Amassing an Audience

I guess my first question would be how old is the sander? and how many time have you placed new pads on the velcro has a limited life attached is a link which may help with a replacment pads http://www.toolspareparts.com.au/bosch?cat=34  here is another site https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RS033-Extra-Soft-Sander-Backing/dp/B00EMFO6G8/ref=pd_bxgy_469_img_3?_en... plus this https://www.ebay.com.au/sch/i.html?_nkw=sander+replacement+pad&ul_noapp=true hope this helps

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Sorry @r23on. I should have mentioned that it happened as soon as I bought it and it's had reasonably limited use. Very annoying! 

r23on
Amassing an Audience

its probably too late but I would have taken it back and got another in short its faulty or the other option now is replace the pad. What I did forgot was that they all use a hook and loop system and once the hook break off or bend over they will not hold the pads and your left with no other option than to replace the pads or sander 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects