Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Piggy banks and toy cars - just for fun

kel
Experienced Contributor

Piggy banks and toy cars - just for fun

Decided winter was a time to be indoors, so i decided to do a bit of toy making, which resulted in my wife taking orders for me to build 20 piggy banks for people, luckily she said she would do the painting

6EE176E9-DC87-460E-8AE1-DF32D5955209.jpegThe pig that started it all

29EAFB44-4E32-4052-A95B-4C5E95C94723.jpeg

639C6970-A9A1-45A0-A265-9DA5E4F94873.jpeg

094795F9-096C-4D9D-B669-63519D3DC1CE.jpeg

AD31E28F-9375-4911-882F-665E6D35D258.jpeg

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

Re: Piggy banks and toy cars - just for fun

Thanks for sharing these @kel. Fantastic work as always.

Just wondering if you could give some tips to Workshop members who might like to start making their own traditional wooden toys? How would you recommend they get started? Any simple projects that they could start with first?

Thanks again,

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery
kel
Experienced Contributor

hi jason

my advice to any other members who would like to have a bit of fun making toys ,is to search the internet,there is plenty of info  for allsorts of projects.one site which is very good is steve goods website,which contains a mountain of free plans for projects for doing on the scrollsaw,which is where i got the piggy bank pattern from. pinterest is also a go place to search for ideas and there are plenty of sites where you can purchase patterns from.  toymakingplans.com has a wide range of plans available to purchase which are really great plans  done in great detail and easy to follow.the fire engine that i made is from one of their plans.most of their plans range from $16-$24 US  a plan ,which is a little pricy,but they do have specials occassionally where they will do good discounts,a couple months ago they offered you a choice of any 6 plans @ 50% off.they do offer 3 plans which are free to download ,the semi and trailer i made was one of their free plans,so i urge anyone that wants to try a bit of toy making, to head to the site and download the free plans,you won't be disappointed.

cheers kel

Highlighted
Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

That's great, many thanks for sharing @kel.

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Jason

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects