Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

New to woodworking at 60

chrissq
Finding My Feet

New to woodworking at 60

At 60 I have joined a local Men's Shed and learning woodworking which I have not touched for over 40 years.  I have access to some wonderful tools but buying some to use at home for when the Mens Shed is closed.  I need some storage for my power tools to keep them safe. So I could uses some advice to plans/dimensions to fit along side for car in single garage.   I  have a portable bench with ibuilt clamps where the centre  separates to act as a vice for routing and cutting so that is covered for now.

regards 

Chris.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: New to woodworking at 60

Hi Chris (@chrissq)

My apologies that you didn't receive a response to your posts during my absence from Workshop, but please let me extend an overdue and very warm welcome to the community. We're really pleased you could join us and are excited that you are getting on the tools again.

We have lots of keen woodworkers in the community who I'm sure will be happy to provide advice anytime you need. You might be interested in reading some of the stories shared by keen woodworkers on the community, such as:

@r23on  - A lifelong fascination with the way things work 

@Wayne - Out of the darkness

@Brad - Sharing generations of knowledge and experience

@AndrewJones - Handmade and built to last

Here's some popular tool storage discussions that might also prove helpful as a starting point for thinking about improving storage in your garage:

New shed storage project by @Tara86

Custom garage storage by @boris

My new tool wall by @JustJim 

Expanded pegboard tool storage system by @r23on.

To help you get some assistance from the Workshop community, perhaps you could share a photo of your garage so other members can see what you are working with, and add some dimensions and a bit more detail about what you would like to do.

Thanks again for joining us,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects