Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

My new tool wall

JustJim
Having an Impact

My new tool wall

I'm Jim and I'm new here. Very new. First posting new!          

I'm retired and keen to get back into woodworking. I recently bought a house in Warrnambool that has a decent sized shed, so here we go.

I've carried quite a few hand tools and a couple of small power tools with me from place to place over my years of Navy service and subsequent private rentals. I've probably lived at 20 addresses in the past 40 years. That's not a situation to be building up a workshop, although much respect to those who do.

This series of posts (if that's how this site works, I'm not sure if this would be better as a 'discussion' or a 'gallery' post) will detail the construction and fitting out of the tool wall.

It starts with getting some plywood fixed to the timber cross-pieces on one half of the back wall of my shed. This is 19mm plywood, what the Cousins would call 3/4".  I seem to recall, when I was learning this stuff from my late dad, that we would size it simply by the number of layers or laminations. Thus we had (iirc) 9-ply, 5-ply and 3-ply. If 3-ply was 1/4" it makes sense that 9-ply was 3/4". I suppose 1/2" got short-changed to keep an odd number of laminations and so keep the grain on the outer faces in the same direction. 

Anyhoo! One thing that has changed is that a full sheet of 9-ply/3/4"/19mm plywood is approximately 37 times as heavy and awkward to handle as it was in the days of my youth. And 137 times as expensive!

I have a few webbing ratchet tie-downs so I rigged two of them and, singing a sea shanty to myself, heaved away and/or hauled away.

Thus we get to the first photograph.

This has become far too long so I shall follow it up in the next few days with progress reports of different tool mounts.

Stay safe,

Join your union,

JimPlywood tool wall being hoisted. Sorry for potato quality, was stressed!Plywood tool wall being hoisted. Sorry for potato quality, was stressed!

Plywood tool wall in placePlywood tool wall in place                                                                    

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim
JustJim
Having an Impact

Re: My new tool wall

Alrighty then. Seconds out, round two.

Behold the glory that is the plier, side-cutter, and related tools rack. And temporary tape holder.

This isn't a great solution for tapes because of the lack of access and will be re-visited soon.

Those are genuine hand sawn and chiseled through-dado joints, but they're 'loose as a goose' not 'snug as a bug' because I'm many years out of practice.                                                      

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim.

Plier and cutter rackPlier and cutter rack

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

G'day @JustJim. Great to meet you and a very big welcome to Workshop. I reckon you will fit right in around here as we have many very keen woodworkers in the community. I'm sure you'll get back into the swing of things in no time and hopefully get plenty of helpful tips, information and inspiration from fellow Workshop members. 

I'm looking forward to watching the progress of this project and encourage you to also hit the Start a discussion button whenever you need a hand with anything. 

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
JustJim
Having an Impact

I got an early start this morning, usually shed time is in the arvo.

I had put together a mount for measuring and laying out tools last night and left it so the superglued magnets could set properly.

This morning I gave it a quick coat of 50/50 boiled linseed oil and turps. The entire tool wall and the plier rack had also got that treatment earlier.

Anyhoo, here's some photos, taken with a decent camera this time. I might try Workshop's option of smaller photos. Please let me know what you think.

Oiled up like a gladiator. Do you like movies about gladiators, Joey?Oiled up like a gladiator. Do you like movies about gladiators, Joey?In place except for the pencil tin.In place except for the pencil tin.Loaded up. Earlier tests showed 2 magnets were fine for the 1m steel rule. That may not be the case.Loaded up. Earlier tests showed 2 magnets were fine for the 1m steel rule. That may not be the case.The big view.The big view.

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim

Congrats on the transition to permanence! I too am appalled at the price of plywood, just another reason to curse the yanks while watching YouTube, when their entire economy is subsidised by cheap war oil. For the same reason, I can forgive the Canadians...

Pallets. You can get some very decent ply (as well as some absolute crud) from them. Another option down your way is shipping crates - I have a mate that has access to half sheets of 'waste' marine ply through the port in Portland. The fun comes in trying to match the thickness over a larger area, as I’m currently engaged in with my shed.

Enjoy!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How's the tool wall looking now @JustJim?

We've noticed discussions about garage and shed storage are really popular at the moment. We imagine many members look for indoor projects at this time of year. 

Jason

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Hi Jim,

Just noticed your great tool wall. Would you mind giving us a brief update, as I found it quite inspirational. I understand life gets in the way of things, have you had time to make anymore installments?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks for joining in the discussion @MitchellM. Let me tag @JustJim for you so he is alerted to your question.

A very warm welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. Going by your first posts, it looks like you've got a lot of knowledge and experience to share. We look forward to reading about all your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. 

Jason

JustJim
Having an Impact

Yeah, hi! Did y'all miss me?

Sorry everybody, I was out of the loop for about the last quarter of 2018.
I'm back in the shed, baby!

Stay safe,
Join your union,

Jim
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good to have you back on Workshop @JustJim. Glad to see that you're back in the shed. 

It would be great if you could give us an update on your tool wall when you get a chance.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects