Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Looking for a Suitable Tool

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Looking for a Suitable Tool

I have an MDF timber box (describing it simply) that has a 200mm. hole cut out the bottom..The bottom panel thickness is 25mm.

I want to increase the hole to 250mm. in diam. The internal box base is approx. 300x300.The depth of the box is 150mm..

Normally a simple enough job, but in this instance I can only reach the hole by going into the box because it's a part of a larger construction..

There's not enough room inside the box to use a router or jigsaw, so any ideas what sort of cutting tool I can use..

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: Looking for a Suitable Tool

Thanks Wayne...

I'm glad to hear that the multi-tools will cut through the MDF very easily..

There is a fairly narrow blade that comes with the kits which should do the job..It will be just a matter of making a lot of cuts and finishing off with sandpaper..

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Thanks Brad...

Yeah I've use those bits before and they are not very effective

Rusty-Saw
Cultivating a Following

Can you get a hole saw on a power drill in there, if you can you will need to secure a scrap piece of wood onto the face and using the hole saw cut into that and continue through into the MDF, once done remove the scrap and you now have a neat round hole, sand to smooth, done. You need the scrap as a guide for the hole saw as you can not use it to expand an existing hole.
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Are there hole saws 250mm. in diam.!?
Rusty-Saw
Cultivating a Following

250mm is a big hole saw, if they do it would be expensive, sorry I must have misread the size you are trying to work with. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects