Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Long and straight mitre cuts without a table saw?

Willow
Getting Established

Long and straight mitre cuts without a table saw?

Hello Workshoppers,

I'm looking to make a sideboard for the living room that is 450mm deep and want to join the tops and sides with a mitre join like below:

Mitre Join.JPG

The problem is I don't have a table saw or mitre saw to make the cut and I don't think a circular saw could make a clean cut at that length. The rip tool is only good if I'm working near the edge of the timber, which unfortunately I won't be.

Does anyone know any hacks/tricks to get the same cut with a circular saw? Or will I need to fork out for a table saw?

I've heard of people clamping a guide on top of the sheet and using this but haven't got any feedback on its success (or failure).

Cheers,

Luke

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Long and straight mitre cuts without a table saw?

Hi Luke (@Willow)

Let me extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. I hope you find it a valuable source of information and inspiration. I also look forward to you sharing your projects with the community.

I trust some of the woodworking community will be able to assist with your question.

Good luck with the sideboard.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Dan
Cultivating a Following

Hi Luke,

Yes, there is something you can do if you have a circular saw.

The saw itself is important however what's more imoprtant is the blade. There is a simple rule to follow: the more teeth the blade has the finer the cut.

Now back to your straight cut, what you can do is get a straight edge piece of timber (thats as long as the cut) calculate where you want the cut and clamp the timber down and use it as a guide for the side of the saw!

If you need more details let me know

Willow
Getting Established

@Dan Thanks for the tip!

I'll give it a go and report back how it comes out.

Cheers

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is your project going @Willow? Looking forward to seeing some photos of your handiwork.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects