Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Jewellery box project using camphor laurel

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Jewellery box project using camphor laurel

IMG_1486.JPGA couple of months ago I managed to grab a hold of some camphor laurel with some great colours. The hardest bit was working out what material I was going to use to finish the job with. The next task was what to do? I have decided to make another jewellery box and handcraft the whole unit where possible.

I am going to do Dovetail joints and use hide glue. I have not used camphor laurel before so it’s going to be interesting how it finishes.

The lid will be made from the pinkish material as it present more of a challenge, because of its colours.

large-2.jpeglarge.jpeg

After cutting the dovetails and gluing and squaring the box it was set aside to dry. I cut the material for the lid. This is where things get a bit tricky if the box is not squar, cutting the lid will be out and not fit correctly. I set the saw table so the blade cuts just deep enough so as not to cut through leaving a very small amount of maretial in place so the lid will not c;lose up on the saw. Using a box cutter to release the lid.

IMG_1475.JPGIMG_1476.JPG

The bottom has been fitted and planed  to ensure a good finish I have used a scraper to ensure all faces are square and readry for sanding.

IMG_1474.JPGIMG_1478.JPG

After scraping and sanding a good spray of metho to release all the small fibers that stick up after appling a varnish or what ever one uses. Using metho drys out not leaving moisture in the timber.

I this next photo I am going to make a set of feet using the same router form as the lid

IMG_1479.JPGIMG_1480.JPG

More to come

Hinges and latches to be fitted the the final coat of sealer

I am looking forward to the fininshed product after spraying the metho on the box the colours are looking great.

IMG_1482.JPGIMG_1481.JPGIMG_1483.JPG

I have now given the box a coat of Kunos oil The pinks are not standing out as I though they might but happy with enhancment of grain

IMG_1484.JPG

A  Setback

After applying the final coat of sealer which takes 24 hours to dry, someone who will remain nameless decidec to test the drying time and left finger prints. Now its strip back and start again.

After a short delay and a bit of rework I am now ready to line the box and perhaps fit an extra tray inside the box.

I am impressed with the Kunos oil and the finish. The only issue is the cost factor and that it takes up to 24hr to dry after the first coat

IMG_1485.JPGIMG_1486.JPGIMG_1487.JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Jewellery Box - New Project Finally Underway

The timber looks beautiful @r23on. Looking forward to seeing the end result.

The jewellry box with finger jointing that you shared earlier in the year has been very popular with members and visitors to the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

thanks for the feedback Jason it’s good to hear

urbanartisan
Cultivating a Following

Nice work well done that kunos oil is really nice stuff

Good to see you join in the discussion and make your first post @urbanartisan. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We look forward to reading about your own projects and plans. And please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site - I'm happy to help.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi Thanks for the feedback The oil is good gives a great finish but requires a bit of work first coat couple of hours to dry the next coats are 24hr for drying 

The down side too short shelf life and cost factor that bottle $30

urbanartisan
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for your reply I wonder if they can do a special order for it
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi if you go to this site all the details are there and contact numbers

https://www.livos.com.au/products/product/kunos-natural-oil-sealer-244

they are the suppliers of it through out Aust

Cheers

EdwardW
Having an Impact

Re: Jewellery box project using camphor laurel

@r23on 

This is wonderful! I love the wood and the way you built it! 

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Re: Jewellery box project using camphor laurel

Thanks I enjoyed the project. Dove tail or finger joins just finish a job

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects