Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

If you could have any tool (DIY) what would it be and why

John1
Having an Impact

If you could have any tool (DIY) what would it be and why

I have always wanted a sliding drop saw with bench. I have worked for companies which have had them at my disposal so never brought one and now I on forced retirement I won't one but cannot justify the expense. I will however eventually get a Ryobi cordless drop saw but not the same tool.

What would I use it for to make life easier on all my projects it not justifying the price of the tool now its finding the extra cash to get it. No cheapies for me.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: If you could have any tool (DIY) what would it be and why

I'd love a metal lathe for fabricating small custom parts to adapt/improve, or tweak things.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Sieg-C3-14-x7-350x180mm-Metal-Lathe-W-Auto-Feed-Speed-DRO-and-Tool-Kit-/3...

@John1

I don't know if you caugth up with a post of mine from another thread, but I bought a 2nd hand early build Makita LS1212 for $230. It's not shiny & pretty, but it's rock solid, & I doubt if I'll wear it out.

Shane
Having an Impact

I'd love a 3D printer. I'm not sure what I'd do with it just yet, but I really want to find out!

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

I reckon I could do a lot of damage with a jackhammer.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

A pantorouter.  This tool is amazing.  These things knock out tenon, mortice, rabbits, dowel and dovetail joints in no time flat.  You too will be amazed when you check out the video below.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@darylhewston,

I love the "Matthias Wandel" YouTube site, he's a very modest genius, & I urge fellow Workshoppers to follow him (on YouTube), even if it's just to be entertained by his brilliance.

Side note:

He actually built that, because he wasn't entirely happy with the panorouter that he'd previously bought.

Andy that lath is a little beaut and for only about $800 delivered. Sad though they have run out of stock. Sure they will get more in. That Makita Slide saw would do me to. Makita is such a great brand and I feel comfortable when using their tools to as they are a real tradesman's tool.

Shane a 3D printer. Told my wife I wanted one when they first came out. She asked me what I would use it for and my reply was how many times have we lost or misplaced a plastic part, cover or other object., and just because the original was made out of another material does not mean you cannot make a new one out of plastic.

Ah Renoqueen a jackhammer. I have had many a time when I wanted one of them around the house but my Missus loves this place the way it is. I can see it now all the concrete in little pebble sized pieces and a wife with a Hammer ready to take me and the Jackhammer apart the hard way. 

Daryl What a surprise. I want one, where can I buy one. Now I know where in I can buy one in Australia. With well over 2 million views of the proto type that is really some tool. I must admit though it would look impressive in my modest but well respected tool collection. I don't think I do enough to warrant $2000 with all the bits to buy one though, and not enough room.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

When I used to make these -

pb48

The bosses son when installing one of them was told it must be a big machine that makes them. His reply was that the machine was him. Not sure as an engineer he could make a cup of coffee...

A machine that could spit them out would of been handy, while the design has changed some since 97 I was welder, hydralic fitter and enough of an electrition to test and bleed the system.

Now a machine that would spit out cabinets would be my dream. A radial arm saw would be nice I don't think I have the room for one, CNC router is maybe out too so I may have to settle for track saw and sliding table router.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Original model.

pb48a

Barker
Cultivating a Following

I'm also interested in the possibilities of 3D printing but I don't think I've seen anything made with one that inspires me as yet. It seems to be mostly people making dodgy figurines and chess pieces. 

John makes an interesting point about replacement parts though. I hadn't thought of that before. A 3D printer could be very useful for extending the life of other equipment. Instead of shipping replacement parts a manufactuer could just share the recipe for printing the part - much more efficient! 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects