Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to build a workshop 3.M x 3.M x 2.1M high

gerard1
Just Starting Out

Never build a workshop before would like to know how and what timber do I use   

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to build a workshop 3.M x 3.M x 2.1M high

Hi @gerard1,

A very warm welcome to the community. It's great to have you join us. 

A new workshop would be an exciting project. I'm sure our ever-helpful members would be more than happy to assist. 

Have you considered a steel shed for your workshop or are you certain you want a timber structure?

It might assist members in recommending designs and materials to know more about what you plan on using the workshop for.

And have you seen any other designs that you like? Perhaps you got some inspiration from what @Kiwifr33 has built.  

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
gerard1
Just Starting Out

Would like to build it my self

gerard2
Finding My Feet

Hi

forgot my password but created a new logon.

Previously was asking how to build a workshop 3.0m x 3.0m x 2.1m 

don't want a c/bond shed it get to hot in summer. just want to know how to build the base and all the frame 

Please help

Thanks

B.R   

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @gerard2,

I'm sure @MitchellMc will be happy to assist when he is back online tomorrow. 

When you click on the Sign in button on Workshop, there's a link that says Forgot username or password? that allows you to reset your password. Don't hesitate to reach out if you ever have trouble getting the most from the site. 

I've merged your latest post onto your original discussion. Please don't start a new discussion for the same topic as it makes it harder for others to navigate the forum. 

Thanks for your patience,

Jason

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gerard1  @gerard2,

It's great to hear about your workshop project. An enclosed workshop would be built with Structural grade Mgp10 H2f treated pine timber. Here is a link on How to build a stud wall which you might find useful in the project. Given the size of the workshop, significant construction techniques will need to be used to ensure the stability of the build.

If you can provide more details on the design, where windows and doors are located, what you intend to build the roof from, what the base will be, then I can assist with a more thorough explanation. It might also be helpful to check with your local construction regulatory authority to find out the minimum specifications for such a build. There will be a variety of requirements that you'll need to meet and they can provide that information.

We're looking forward to hearing more about your project and seeing what plans you have for the layout.

Mitchell

Thanks Michael

Small window will be on the right and door in the middle with a flat roof.

Any suggestion with the base what size the timer should be H2 or H3 and also for the stud 75x45 ???

Regards

Gerard2

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @gerard2,

Any timber that will be in contact with consistent moisture should be H4 treated. The base frame should be made from H3 timber as long as it is raised well above ground level. All interior timber can be H2 if it has no contact with moisture or is not in a damp environment.

The bases bearers could be made from Treated Pine Outdoor Timber Framing 140 x 45mm and the posts to support them would be 90 x 90mm 2.4m F7 Kd H4 Treated Pine Premium Wrapped. The floor can then be laid by using Structaflor flooring. For the wall, I would recommend constructing the frame from 90 x 45mm H2 treated pine timber. The studs can be made from 70 x 45mm H2 treated pine timber

If you have additional questions or need assistance, please let me know.

Mitchell

gerard2
Finding My Feet

Hi Jason,

I decided to buy a garden shed from Bunnings 3m x3m x2.06m it would have been to expensive and time.

It will be use as a workshops and a shed

A question I would like to build it on a platform out of sleepers instead of concrete. would like to know if anyone have done it before and how to make the frame.

Thanks

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi again @gerard2,

You might be interested to see what experienced member @Brad used here - Garden shed project

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects