Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How many DIY projects that you have started are still unfinished and when did you start them.

John1
Having an Impact

How many DIY projects that you have started are still unfinished and when did you start them.

I am notorious at getting started on one project only to be side tracked by another. I am usually doing three projects at once, much to the annoyance of Pam though she never says anything it's just the way she talks and the facial expressions that scream hurry up. 

They all get finished. Sometimes however I start one project as it needs a new tool to finish. This is so I can say to Pam I can't finish it unless I have a new plane and I don't have one. hopefully the answer is "well I guess we will have to get one".

Sometimes it works!

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Re: How many DIY projects that you have started are still unfinished and when did you start them.

I should direct this question to Tania, we discussed this a while ago, & she wanted me to jot down a "To-Do List". I teched up & did it on the computer, but the list keeps growing while I battle on. Of the 28 items, 6 are DONE, & 6 are IN PROGRESS, so I don't have a good record. : (

I tend to research what I need to do a job, & often a new tool is on the list, but Tania's wised up. It doesn't help when I buy materials, then I/we change our mind(s), & our rickety 35 year old cedar driveway fence restoration is a glaring example of the dilemma. I've bought fibre cement panels (my idea), ColourBond sheets (Tania's idea), & 4" square steel fence posts (my idea), which wasn't a good idea.

Then there's the constant balancing act of prioritising, & work flows, it's doing my head in. I'd love to place DONE alongside the nightmare fence reno, but sadly I'm constantly up aginst it with other things that're deemed more important.

I might surprise Tania with an early Christmas present of a 3D printer, or Virtual Reality headset, your advice will be appreciated.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: How many DIY projects that you have started are still unfinished and when did you start them.

Painting my mothers kitchen and replacing the lino, been over a year. Need her to go on a holiday so I can get a few days to get it done. I think I will need a new saw for the floor.

Back shed -  line walls and false ceiling, cabinets, flooring, power points and maybe solar power, been working on the demo work for 4 months. Need that saw and a joiner. Sheet lifter would be an option for a more solid ceiling.

Pond - been collecting plants from the bargain bin for 4 months, need to  dig out the dirt from the old brick pond and look at a liner for it and pump.

Mostly have to work around what my body will let me do.

I'm sure either would be very much appreciated. Though I would lean more towards the 3D printer as the Virtual reality glasses might be fun for the short term the Printer would give Tania many hours of fun getting to understand how it works and then creating the plastic bits and pieces.

You will find many uses for the endless amount of parts and products that you could use in your projects.

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Hmmm! Good question, I have an industrial Vacuum Cleaner that I have stripped down to derust and refurbish (now put to one side), I decided I would attempt to build a Drum Sander from a treadmill (stripped down and out to one side), I bought some components of a belt sander that are now sitting under the carport rusting away, I started some Octagonal and also Square Planter boxes about 2 years ago - the parts for those are in the shed somewhere. It never ends I have these great ideas with full intent then run into a snag and just go on making something else.
Wood Working with Wayne
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

I've got a to-do list a mile long. Does that count?

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel please try to keep up, Australia went metric early 3rd quarter of last century. ; )

Anyways, my To Do List went viral when I retired last century, & Workshoppers are dream'n if they think that they can better my expertise in work evasion.

Hmmmmm @Andy_Mann, Tania might have to put a lock on the beer fridge......

my goals.jpg

to do list.jpg

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@darylhewston wrote:

Hmmmmm @Andy_Mann, Tania might have to put a lock on the beer fridge......

Oi!!! Whose side are you on? : P

Anyways, I'm way ahead of yah mate. All my years of digging out my top secret prepper man cave's got that covered. Maaaate, wall to wall solar powered fridges, busting at the seams with liquid food (no washing up). No artificial flavours, colourings, or preservatives, so I should be alright when I emerge the next morning, with my Harvey Norman VIP card in hand.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects