Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Grandpa's new toy shed!

Rusty-Saw
Cultivating a Following

Grandpa's new toy shed!

WP_20170215_18_06_56_Pro.jpg
Rusty-Saw
Cultivating a Following

Re: Grandpa's new toy shed!

It's been awhile so I will give an update on Grandpa's shed, finally got the final certificate and just in time as now the back room roof leaks like the Titanic when it rains. Hello new project, everything in the back room is now in the new shed and the setup stage of the shed has come to a standstill. The back room had also come to a standstill as I had a slight accident, do not, I repeat no matter how much of a good idea it seems at the time do not drop a full sheet 3.6 x .900 of yellow toungue flooring on to your big toe. That took two weeks to get over as loosing the nail and 4 stitches, so as it stands now everything rests on getting the new roof on, then the new fire can go in, all of the stuff in my shed that belongs in the back room can be removed and the comencement of operation shed fittout can get back on track and there will be more photo's, until then, becareful with yourself and your tools, if it looks you should put it in a vise, do so. I have since purchased a pair of safety boots and a pair of chaps to wear when using chainsaws because  think I might be on a roll, they say things come in threes.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Ouch! Glad to hear you are recovering @Rusty-Saw. Thanks for the update and good luck with the fit-out. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rusty-Saw
Cultivating a Following

Next update, on Grandpa;s Toy Shed, well still not straight due to the work taking place in the backroom of the house, got to keep the wife happy as she needs to get the house straight so she can relax a little. Then I can get stuck into the shed and set it up and do some awaiting projects.

So at the moment I am removing the old roof and making a steel gal frame and then reroofing with new material, a lot easier than trying to repair the existing roof. Due to very poor workmanship and a bad choice of materials used it was always destined to fail at some point. So with some repair and correctional brickwork and a better structural supporting framework all should be good. Because I am limited to 4-5 hours per day working it is a slow project but being retired I'm not in a big rush to get it finished yesterday, it has given me time to think out the few difficult sections and I am confident I have come to a workable solution, anyway thats the latest next time I will try and include a few photos to make it easier to follow and show the good and bad points of not thinking something out and the results of bad choice of materials.

Thanks for the update @Rusty-Saw. I've moved your post to the Outdoor Living board so that more community members can see it. 

Let us know if you need a hand with anything. I'm sure there will be members who are happy to provide advice. 

Thanks,

Jason

Stephen-H
Building a Reputation

So, what toys do you have for that awsome Toy Shed?

Rusty-Saw
Cultivating a Following

Thank you Jason, and hi Stephen, well so far it's not so much a case of what toys I have more a case of now I can use the toys I have without moving three to get at one. Space, that unknown universe, to go where no man has......oh! wait that's Star Trek, yes, space is the big thing I will have, tools like table saw, compound mitre saw, wood and metal lathes will all have a place. Benches will be all accessible, like welding bench and woodwork bench and general work bench without having to move and shuffle things about each time I do something different. I am finding thing a bit slow on the organization side of things at the moment due to unexpected renovations but in time things will fall into place. These are what I call my dirty hobbies due to the mess they each in turn create, the mezzanine level is for my clean hobbies, such as stained glass, miniature modelling and sewing, yes you heard right sewing. I do a little upholstery work and each hobby demands it's own amount of space. The greatest single thing with the space gained is a setup area, to start a project and not have to disturb it just so I can gain access to something else. Oh! and a permanent home for my boat, who has lived outside for the last 15yrs and now after a full refit has a place to call home.

Looking forward to seeing what you do with all that space @Rusty-Saw. I'm sure plenty of Workshop members will give you tips on getting organised and building storage if you need any advice! 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How's the shed going @Rusty-Saw? It would be great to get an update when you have a chance.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects