Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First table saw

Mikeyhz
Growing in Experience

First table saw

Saw.pngHello everyone, is this a decent saw?(accurate,stable etc)  Ryobi 1800W Table Saw (254mm) (RTS1526RG)

I'm wanting to purchase my first table saw and this one is around my budget. I’ll be using it mainly for small jobs such as shelving, small tables, tool/Storage boxes etc 

or is there a better alternative? 

Any help would be much appreciated 

Mikeyhz
Growing in Experience

Re: First table saw

Bought the Ryobi saw today and I’m pretty happy with it, it’s a lot more solid than I thought it would be. The rip fence can definitely do with an upgrade but apart from that I’ll be able to make some decent stuff with this saw.

thanks again 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@ great stuff, make sure you post some photos of what you make with it!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Mikeyhz  thank you for posting this question. I’m the same as @MitchellM have a current Ozito drop saw with an Irwin blade. Found it’s not always precise no matter how much adjusting I do. Any slight movement when pulling the blade down will effect the straight cuts. I’ve been looking to upgrading to the Ryobi drop saw but after viewing your post, might look into the Table Saw. 
I am a bit worried about the safety side but think checking out the safety videos is a great place to start. Thank you!

Mikeyhz
Growing in Experience

There's lots of videos all over youtube to help ya out. 

This guy, Steve Ramsey, explains alot in this video https://youtu.be/91v0Yg1L4ok

He has a ton of vids on his channel for home woodworkers and I find he explains things quite well 

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

I inherited a 12" table saw which is around 70 years old and powered by an Australian built 1 hp induction motor. The blade was missing a few tungsten teeth so I purchased a new 12" Bosch blade. I don't use the saw regularly so the next time I used it I was somewhat saddened to see that it was struggling to rip some 1" hardwood to the point where you could hear the motor slowing down. I thought it was probably the age of the motor and it needed to be replaced.

But by chance soon after I was in Total Tools and spotted a 12" Carbatec blade half priced  - so I thought I'd give it a go before seeing if I needed a new bigger motor.

It was as if Jesus had touched the table saw and said "it will now cut anything!" The difference was incredible. Happy days.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Noyade Interesting, there a few variables which can effect this, I wonder what the difference in the blades are? Do they have the same number of teeth, is the Carbatec a thin kerf (thickness) blade? Would be interested to know.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Noyade
Kind of a Big Deal

"Interesting, there a few variables which can effect this, I wonder what the difference in the blades are? Do they have the same number of teeth, is the Carbatec a thin kerf (thickness) blade? Would be interested to know."

Hi Mitch.

Thanks for making me go and look cause as usual I was wrong and it wasn't a Carbatec - it was a Carb-I-Tool.

It struck me as being heavy and I wonder if a "flywheel" like inertia helps the cutting?

It was so good I returned to the store and bought the remaining blades. I asked why they were on clearance and the reply was 12" blades are no longer a big seller.

I tossed the Bosch blade into the bin - but I think it had a similar number of teeth.

This was about 5 years ago.

Carb-I-ToolCarb-I-Tool

TedBear
Kind of a Big Deal

Just came across this post. It looks highly dangerous to me. A bench saw is a potential hand/limb remover at the best of times, due to the heavier and larger timber you can push through it, so I wouldn't go anywhere near that thin stand.  I bought a similar, but more substantially supported, low-cost  bench saw and even then, removed the supplied legs and built a strong, stiff stand for it using solid 100x100 pine for the legs. I further strengthened it by adding a framed shelf below, that holds its accessories.  If you (or any reader) does something similar I suggest that:  a)  you make it so that the saw bench top height matches your other bench top, so you can use it to support long or wide timber as it slides through and 2) make the accessory shelf base out of pegboard so that dust will fall (or can be blown) through it. (I do that for most low level shelves in my workshop. Makes it easier to keep them clean with a vacuum cleaner.)

@Tara86 - I have the Ryobi drop saw with the laser line - very happy with it - my budget is limited and most of my tools are Ryobi. The Laser Line provides accuracy when cutting, as a novice - this helps alot. Just need to make sure you properly secure your timber when cutting and you won't have a problem. 

Tara86
Amassing an Audience

@Caron  Thanks so much for the recommendation. I really need to replace my current mitre saw. Every time I’m in Bunnings I check it out ha ha.  We’ve been busy doing a lot of landscaping and so my partners been using it a lot......he’s not as gentle with it ha ha!
Can I ask how did you find the accuracy of the laser line? Also is there much movement (side to side) when pulling the blade down to cut? I found these 2 have been my biggest ongoing issues with my current saw. I’ve stopped trying to fix the laser. Same when using the blade I’m just more cautious. 
Thanks again. :smile: 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects