Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

First table saw

Mikeyhz
Growing in Experience

First table saw

Saw.pngHello everyone, is this a decent saw?(accurate,stable etc)  Ryobi 1800W Table Saw (254mm) (RTS1526RG)

I'm wanting to purchase my first table saw and this one is around my budget. I’ll be using it mainly for small jobs such as shelving, small tables, tool/Storage boxes etc 

or is there a better alternative? 

Any help would be much appreciated 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: first table saw

Someone is happy with theirs, might want to turn down your volume first before playing the video.

I wouldn't trade in my Bosch for one but it's an improvement on the homemade one my father built. Next step up is from Carbatec who have a special on their 12" Site Saw $639.20.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mikeyhz,

Welcome to the Workshop community. We're pleased to have you join us. Are you new to woodworking?

I'm sure Workshop members will be happy to provide their input. Perhaps @Tara86 and @prettyliving might like to share what they use...

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mikeyhz
Growing in Experience

Hi there, I’ve worked with wood and power tools plenty of times but never a table saw. I’ve spent the past week watching safety videos on YouTube...I think I’m ready for a saw now haha

prettyliving
Amassing an Audience

Re: First table saw

I don’t own a Ryobi table saw, Ive used a drop saw for most of my projects but I do have a lot of other Ryobi tools and have never been disappointed by them. 

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Mikeyhz yes it is a decent saw for home DIY type projects. There are many other precision saws on the market, but if that is where your budget is I think you will be happy with it and it will be adequate for your needs.

Bare in mind I work for Bunnings but this is my own personal opinion of the product.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Mikeyhz
Growing in Experience

Hey thanks for your response mate. I have another question about this saw. I’ve seen a few videos now on the Ryobi saws and they always seem to have wobbly rip fences. Assuming I buy one and it has a terrible fence, are the table tops on these things generally solid and flat enough that I could build an extended table dedicated for this saw to sit in along with making a new fence?. will it be worth doing or will I essentially just be sitting a coke can inside a nice solid custom table?

im not sure if my local Bunnings will let me open one up to have a look at before I buy ???

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Mikeyhz I'll preface my answer by saying this too is where my budget lies, if anything I generally can only afford Ozito products. I have found most entry level DIY tools lack the precision of higher end products, it's just something you need to be aware of and work with.

If I was going to extend that bench, I would make sure the extension is solid then bolt the bench to your structure which will increase the saw tables structural integrity.

In regards to the wobbly fence you may find this differs between individual units sold, that coke can may well be suited as a shim to reduce the tolerances. Or perhaps a bolt upgrade etc.

The true DIY nature of an individual is defined by overcoming budgets with practical solutions and working with what you have.

As an example I have a cheap Ozito drop saw with an Irwin 60tooth blade in it. The blade is worth more than the saw, but I can make precision finishing cuts which would rival a saw 5 times the cost.

However I also am aware that if I put any sideways movement into it as I pull it down to cut, I can be off 90 degrees by several degree.

EDIT: misread your post, Id be happy making a new custom table for it, you can always insert a new saw in it with some adjustments down the track.

You might be able to just use the table and extend it, you should also be able to make a new fence for it.

Obviously if you start using a tool for other than its intended purpose, that is up to you.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Mikeyhz
Growing in Experience

Thanks that was pretty much the answer I was looking for I think. As long as the saw has the potential to be improved then I’d be more than happy with it. 
cheers mate 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I can find faults with what is now over $1500 with stand Bosch table saw. New blade and an upgrade of the mitre gauge fence would improve mine. Dust getting in the sliding table is not so easy to fix.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects