Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Easiest way to dismantle pallets?

wannabebulda
Growing in Experience

Easiest way to dismantle pallets?

Can someone help whats would be the easiest way to dismantle a pallet I cant afford $90..00 for the tool that yes would work well, ideas are all over youtube but some still need expensive tools that may only be used a couple times 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: pallets

Two variations of the same theme -

He does choke the hammer a bit.

I think this is our @She_Skills

Being critical she could of used a bigger hammer...

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

I use a fairly large head rubber mallet (increases surface area so more effective ad decreases risk of breaking wood), have a claw hammer on hand to pull out any stubborn nails. Depending on how well it all comes apart and what I'm using the pallet for, I have also run down the sides with a circular saw (a jigsaw would also work). Keep the scraps for kindling.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@wannabebulda

In addition to all the great pallet projects shared on the Workshop Gallery recently, you might be interested in this previous discussion for pallet project ideas.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

I used 2 flat head screwdrivers and a claw hammer when I first started upcycling pallets was able to do a 1200mm x 1200mm pallet in 5min flat with minimal breakages and that is hard work. I now use a Reno bar which I purchased from Bunnings and cost $90, and is a much easier way to work. Work smarter not harder, it will pay itself off in no time.

Thanks for sharing @Kalel2427. Great to have you join us. A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to reasding about your projects and plans. Please post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. And please feel free to give me a shout anytime you need a hand with getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

That first video is magic @Brad - was wondering how, myself!

It's a bit old this thread but in case others come along for interests sake my answer would be it depends... It depends on whether you can get the pallets home intact or whether you have to break them up on site. If you can get them home then it depends on how much of the pallet you want to use and there are so many ways when you have access to corded, or even cordless tools from the shed.

In the case of "in-situ" then for less than $20 worth of square steel tubing you can weld up (as I have done) a great pallet breaker. If you don't have a welder or can't weld, it would certainly be possible to bolt something together.

I can post a picture of the one I made if anyone is interested.
Former Workshop member
Not applicable

@Bundaboy,
I would be more than interested to see your pallet breaker - we have a mate who has said he'd teach me to weld, so it would be an excellent starter project!
Thanks for the offer to post your pics 😁

Pallet breaker (short version)

Dsci0001.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects