Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Dust Extraction Ducting

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Dust Extraction Ducting

I have a Leda Dust Extractor that I sourced from auction several years ago, it has dual 100mm inlets and up until now I have just used it with flexible hose for two machines only (Table Saw and CNC Router.
DustExtractor5.jpg
I have been wanting to be able use other machines with it as well without having flexible hose all over the shed floor. I toyed with the idea of using PVC storm water pipe and fittings to set up a small extraction ducting system but the extractor fittings and PVC fittings are a mismatch when trying to join to one another.
A catalogue from the local woodworking store arrived this month and featured a clear tube dust extraction fitting kit on special, it appeared to have everything I needed to achieve what I wanted.
Clear Dust Extraction Ducting.jpg
It has 900mm tubes, joiners, 90 and 45 degree bends, T pieces and blast gates for opening and closing different ducts. The plan was to run the rigid ducting vertically from the dust extractor then a 90 degree bend to the centre of the shed A frame and then straight down the middle of the shed through the other A frame truss, with 2 additional outlets along the way.
Leda Dust Extractor.jpg

Dust Collection Overhead Clear Ducting.jpg

Dust Collection Overhead Clear Ducting 2.jpg

Dust Collection CNC Router.jpg
The new centre duct inlet is directly above my work table and I have put a 3 metre concertina flexible hose with a quick connect fitting attached and will utilise this for several places including Belt Sander, Band Saw and also to a Down Draft Sanding table that I am building now.
Dust Collection Centre Outlet when not in use.jpg

Dust Collection Belt and Disc Sander.jpg

Dust Collection Band Saw.jpg
I also have a 100mm Floor Dust Wand and Hand Tool which I can use with that quick connect fitting to vacuum the floor or benches.
As you can probably see in the pictures I have a dust problem in the shed which also means I am probably breathing in that dust when not wearing a mask or respirator, there is a fine film of dust over everything and that is what I am trying to eliminate or at least cutting out as much as possible.
Rear air intake Quick Connect.jpg
This is the Down Draft Sanding table that I have made (I will do a seperate topic of that build) I will sand my projects on this table and the dust will be sucked down through the pegboard and into the dust extractor.

Wood Working with Wayne
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Re: Dust Extraction Ducting

Wow, serious gear. The tubing reminds me a little of the pneumatic tube that some offices used to have to shoot documents around the building. 

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Yes it does, a lot of companies used to use that system years ago. Counter staff would send up the order for invoicing then your invoice would come back down!

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Wayne

I started my career as a newspaper journalist in the pre-digital era. The sub-editors would use pneumatic tubes to send the page layouts to the compositors on the floor above them, who would follow the layouts to assemble pages by hand from cut linotype.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

It is amazing how quickly technology has impacted our lives in all forms. Now you can have an open document with participants all over the world contributing to and editing that same document in real time!

Wood Working with Wayne

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects