Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Down Draft Sanding Table

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Down Draft Sanding Table

I am endeavouring to eliminate as much dust as possible when woodworking in my shed. The first step was to enhance the dust collection ducting of my Dust Extractor (detailed in another topic) the second part of that was to build a bench top Down Draft Sanding Table to capture dust when I am sanding projects.
Finished Down Draft Sanding Table.jpg
The got the design ideas from a YouTube search on dust extraction, it is nothing more than a box with a bottom, a top with holes (in this case Pegboard), sloping panels internally to channel the dust and have a smaller area to increase suction and a vacuum port on the back.
Initial Board Sizing.jpg
I cut the front, back and side pieces to size to make a box 850mm x 600mm x 140mm high.
Internal Rabbets.jpg

Internal Rabbets 2.jpg
I used a Dado Blade stack on my table saw to rebate 15mm x 5mm rabbets in all of the panels to hold the bottom and top sheets and also 25mm x 15mm rabbets on the ends of the front and back panels to accept the sides.
Down Draft Deluxe.jpg

Down Draft Deluxe 2.jpg
I chose to be a bit cute and engraved a name on the LH side of the front panel and also cutout a 100mm hole in the back panel for the dust oulet.
Glue up and clamping Rear Duct.jpg

Glue up and Clamping 2.jpg
Then I glued and clamped the front, back and sides together - no mechanical fasteners used at all.
Sloping Panels 1.jpg

Sloping Panels 2.jpg
Next I measured up and cut some 7mm Ply Wood sheet that I had on hand to make some sloping panels internally, this reduces the overall internal voume which increases the suction.
Sealed the seams with Silicone.jpg
I then ran a bead of silicone around all the edges and also silisoned in the rear duct adaptor.
Additional Frame Support.jpg

Additional Frame Support 2.jpg
The overall size was too great to simply fasten the pegboard to the top and it would have sagged, so I made a simple frame out of pine with 2 cross strips to strengthen the pegboard top. This was glued and bradded together then just bradded to the main body.
Screwed the Pegboard top in position.jpg
I screwed the peg board top in place and made a mess because the screw heads fluffed up the screw holes. I have since sanded those high points down and have placed some UMHW plastic tape around the perimiter and the two cross strips. I didn't want raised screw heads scratching or damaging what ever I was sanding.
Finished Down Draft Sanding Table.jpg

Rear air intake Quick Connect.jpg
All done! I simply attach my quick connect dust hose to the port and sand away.
It really makes a huge difference. When sanding you will usually see dust on the surfaces where you are sanding but additionally there is fine dust that circulates in the air and it is this fine dust that it is pulling in and away from my lungs.

Wood Working with Wayne
NiftyNev
Finding My Feet

Re: Down Draft Sanding Table

Hi Wayne,
Where can I purchase the quick connect dust hose connector as shown in the last photo.

Thanks Nifty.
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

It is made by Rockler and part of their Dust Right Quick Connect series, I purchased it from Carbatec but having just had a quick look I can't find a link for it on their website. Here is the link for the US Rockler website though http://www.rockler.com/dust-collection/hose-end-attachments
Hope that helps

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @NiftyNev,

Thanks for joining in the discussion. Great to see you have already received a helpful reply from Wayne. 

I hope you find plenty of other useful advice, information and inspiration for your projects from Workshop community members. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand, and it would also be great if you could share some of your projects to inspire others.

Thanks again for joining us, and a very warm welcome to Workshop.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Hi Wayne,
Thanks for info. Found it here on the Carbatec - https://www.carbatec.com.au/dust-control/dust-extraction-fittings/rockler-4-dust-right-quick-fit-han...

Thanks Nifty

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects