Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Cooling the garage

Totoro
Just Starting Out

Cooling the garage

Hi all - anyone bought a portable aircon for the garage before? I see Bunnings has them, but with an exhaust hose for sliding windows. No windows in the garage, just a roller door. I have plenty of wood work projects but the heat in there kills me (Darwin). A wall unit would do it but would likely cost 2k.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Cooling the garage

A friend has one in his brick garage, no outside vent. I can confirm it gets hot in there, I haven't yet turned his aircon on but I have the feeling it won't do much as it is a double garage. There was a pop up portable air conditioners shop at my local shopping centre, in what was a fairly cool building to start with they did a good job of pumping out colder air, I don't think if the ambient temperature was in the 40's the end results would match.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

I suggest some whirly birds on the roof to get the air circulation going. Next is insulating the underside of the roof. Buy a floor mounted industrial fan and let it circulate the air. It should lower the temperature in the workshop. Perhaps time to consider putting in a large window? Whats the floor area of the garage? 

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Screenshot_20191226-235014_Chrome.jpg

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Totoro,

Great to see you make your first Workshop post and get some prompt and helpful replies. We are looking forward to reading more of your posts soon and seeing your woodworking projects.

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Welcome,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi redracer - it’s a double car garage, I have a huge pedestal fan but in the buildup season in Darwin it’s a losing game. The roof is insulated I believe (I will double check that). Given the area to cool it sounds like a large wall unit might be needed.

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Totoro

Have tried  the aircons with vent tube. In Tamworth summer 40 degrees, they struggled to cool a large beedroom. While they took the edge off they didnt cope. In the end we resorted to a box window type. You could just cut a hole in the wall but typically will need a 15amp plug. If you are handy that saves you the $800 to get an aircon fitted on top of the unit price.

James 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects