Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Building a new workbench

Billy
Getting Established

Building a new workbench

BeforeBeforeDuring levelling with a 'DYI' router/sled and levelling jigDuring levelling with a 'DYI' router/sled and levelling jigAfter.After.

Billy
Getting Established

Re: Levelling a slab

This is the first step in the construction of my Roubo WorkBench. It's all made from recycled timber. (note a few old nail holes!) The Oregon is from an old house demolition in Hampton and would be around 100 years old so I am keen to honour the ancient timber with a quality bench. More to follow as I progress. I have used a Diablo 1" Straight Bit from Bunnings for the first cut but may progress to a Carb-I-Tool Solid Surface Bit for the final cut if my random orbital sander has any deficiency on the final smoothing
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to Workshop @Billy. This looks like a fantastic project. Many thanks for sharing. I'm sure our community members will appreciate seeing it come together and be inspired by your work.

I also hope you receive lots of great advice and inspiration for your projects from our members. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand.

Thanks again for joining in the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Billy,

How is the workbench build going? It would be great to see an update with your progress.

Hope all is well.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Billy
Getting Established

Have commenced fitting my new vice (on special at Bunniungs Moorabbin) Now that is a nice fitNow that is a nice fitRouted out the underneath side of the workbench to install the vice at the optimum heightRouted out the underneath side of the workbench to install the vice at the optimum height

Billy
Getting Established

I never liked coach bolts as they seem to 'work loose' over time so have opted for through and through bolts counterbored and the wooden plug (jarrah or even ebony) to 'hide' the holes on the top of the workbench. I have added a little varnish to seal the oregon rail and pine top.

CounterboringCounterboring

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects