Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Best brand of wood glue?

Adam_1
Just Starting Out

Best brand of wood glue?

Hi, just wondering what the best brand of wood glue I should get for casual woodworking? 

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Best brand of wood glue?

image.png

image.pngCurrent choice for me is Sikabond and for Melamine I want to try Titebond Melamine soon.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @Adam_1. Great to see you've already got a helpful reply from @Brad. Let me also tag some of our other keen woodworkers like @r23on@woodalwaysworks@LePallet@Wayne and @Yorky88 for you. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. We're pleased to have you join the community and look forward to reading about your woodworking projects and plans. Please post whenever you need assistance or have something to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
r23on
Amassing an Audience

Hi I am a big fan for titebond has good shelf life

For general work where drying does not matter tite bond general, for food safe glue I use Ultimate III In face I use it most of the time due to its drying time.

https://www.hammersmith.com.au/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=125392

I have just started using their liquard hide glue no heating need. slow drying time

hope this is of help

b_vague
Just Starting Out

Hi I want a glue to repair some splits in an old Thonet Brentwood chair. Im thinking a hide glue would integrate into the wood fires. Any thoughts?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @b_vague. It's brilliant to have you join us, and many thanks for your question about repairing a chair.

I can't say I have any personal experiences with hide glues, but standard PVA is designed to penetrate wood fibres, and we've been using it successfully for generations. In your circumstance, I'd recommend a polyurethane adhesive instead of a PVA. It's a moisture-curing high-strength wood glue best used for high-stress joints or repairs of failed timber. You must apply it sparingly and ensure the joint is then securely clamped. All excess adhesive must be removed once the joint is clamped up and should not be allowed to dry on the exposed timber surface.

Polyurethane glues are a little trickier to use than standard PVA but provide a more robust repair.

Let me mention @Brad and @r23on to get their thoughts.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

r23on
Amassing an Audience

What I can tell you hide glue leaves the pva glues for dead but it has a longer drying time so you can work it a bit better but harder to clean up 

as for glues I feel titebond is the best on the market place ranging from quick drying time to food safe and water proof 

poly glues you can not use too much, and clean up too much work and clamping is a must

titebond make a cold hide clue check it out

gtswoodshed
Just Starting Out

Hi Adam been working in woodworking industry for over 50 years best woodworking glue without doubt is Titebond  111 I have just found out it is available at,Bunnings or Carbetec . Cheers Graham T.

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @gtswoodshed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you for joining the discussion.

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with wood glue. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of one of your projects? I'm sure our members would be keen to see what you've created.

Eric

r23on
Amassing an Audience

Without a dough titebond have a larger range and leave all the others for dead

from food grade waterproof, longer working times to short work times and cold hide glue 

Bunnings does not sell it 

stores that do 

Sydney tools

timbecon

carbatec

total tools

at this stage can not remember the rest

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects