Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Beginner advice - what tools do I need?

theskywaspink
Growing in Experience

Beginner advice - what tools do I need?

Hi all,

I've been a reader for a while but not posted anything.

It's been a long time since I've touched any power tools for a lengthy time, but still quite capable and can remember how to do most stuff once I've got them in my hand.

Unfortunately I've had to give up playing cricket on the weekends as the body won't take it anymore, and I'm looking to start building some furniture. The last time I did that was high school (late 90s) and the occasional piece I've picked up off Gumtree and done a bit of pulling apart things, sanding, fixing, polishing/oil etc.

I'm looking to replace all the flat pack crap in my house, entertainment unit, computer desk, and also replace my kitchen table and coffee table (coffee table is solid tassie oak, but that can go back to my parents).

Nothing overly complicated, I'll likely be using some reclaimed Oregon and/or Jarrah.

But I'm a bit baffled as to where to start on what tools I might need. I can buy them as I need them, I already have a workbench, a Ryobi drill, and general hand tools.

Any advice would be appreciated.

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

Re: Beginner Advice

@theskywaspink Welcome to the Workshop Community and congrats on your first post!

Since you already have a Ryobi drill, I'm going to plug the rest of their range as that is what I use.

Please bare in mind I am a Bunnings team member.

I'd recommend a 18v Orbital palm sander, circular saw and their bradder nail gun.

There are hundreds of projects you could get stuck into with just those.

Anything else you could purchase when necessary.

I'd also get a drop saw and belt sander when needed.

The bradder is a decent cost, but I've found it valuable and has increased the speed dramatically which I put items together.

I'm sure our helpful members will jump in shortly with their own advice!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks Mitchell, I just remembered I have a Ryobi Corner Sander (I think, uses mains power) from years ago. I might stick with that and see how it goes, and will likely skip a nail gun and go old school with joins. I can still remember how to do them :smile:

Circular saw is probably where I'm stuck, the lengths of timber are going to be long. So would it be better to look at something like a circular I can attach into a table rather than a dropsaw? Otherwise I feel like I'll just end up with 2 saws, I won't be in a rush.

@theskywaspink if you're predominantly going to be ripping down longer lengths and cutting sheets, then a table saw would suit.

Not sure how many table saws these days utilise a circular saw underneath, which you can detach, most I would assume are standalone items.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Beginner advice - what tools do I need?

Welcome to the community @theskywaspink - I'm sure you're going to find it super useful!

Brands

If you're keeping things relatively simple, Ryobi is a great value/quality tool/range to stick with. Their range of 18V tools is massive and are at an affordable price point for most people to build a decent collection of goodies.

If you want to bump up the quality, my go-to is Makita. It's more focused on trade in that it's better quality but you do pay a bit extra for it.

Tools

• A decent drill is a must. Having a hammer function makes it more practical/versatile allowing you to drill into brick/masonry. Often a better option than limiting yourself to timber/steel.
  • I agree that an orbital sander will be worth the small investment but a corner sander certainly still has its place too.
  • Sounds like you need to make a decision between a circular saw and a drop/mitre saw. Ideally you'd have both as they come in handy for different tasks but understand needs and budget come into play.
  • I've found my multi-tool comes in handy so often and is easily the most versatile tool I own.
  • Irwin clamp sets are a great investment. Besides their strong hold/quality, they've done well to invest in the attachments space making them useful in a range of applications from simply holding something still to clamping 90 degree joins, holding decking in place and more.

The list really does go one but I think these are some of the essentials to own (without getting into the more obvious things like speed square, tape measure, hole saw kit, etc).

Hope this helps!

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome @theskywaspink

Sorry to read you’ve had to give up the cricket. My vets team had a grand final win last weekend - I still love it! But certainly the silver lining is having more time for your D.I.Y. projects, and I’m sure the Workshop community will be happy to help along the way. 

Great to see you've already got some great tips and I'm sure more will follow. You might also be interested in reading this previous discussion - What tools does a beginner need?

Feel free to post anytime you need a hand, and please let me know if you ever need assistance getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
casper1
Growing in Experience

If you have hand tools then I presume you would be looking for power tools. I see you have a Ryobi drill. I must admit to having a thing for Ryobi. I would suggest you look at the range of battery powered Ryobi tools at Bunnings. In the Men's Shed where I toil we use only Ryobi for our Battery tools. These have a reliability that many other tool companies envy. The Range is amazing and they all take the same battery. My favourites are the drill and driver combo, the circular saw and the multi tool. PS in the last two and a half years only one tool failed us. It was replaced by the Bunnings staff without question. Hope that helps.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

I have found in doing glue ups that a biscuit joiner when making panels from boards works well ( I have a router table that gives me that function ) and as much as I am a fan of Irwin clamps as well I have found using aluminium bar clamps avoid the glue reaction that leaves black stains from where it touches steel.

I have used reclaimed what I think is Jarrah from the house that was at the back of me. I would have to say I am not a fan it is hard to work with and prone to catching/chipping it does look good when finished though.

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Seems that buying tools as you need them isn't always a winning strategy as those bundles that the likes of Ryobi do seem like you get pretty good savings from buying in bulk. Anyone seen a decent starters kit recently? I can't see any on the Bunnings website...

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Kermit  Here you go!! The Ultimate Kit , retails for $1899. Did some quick math and the products included add up to $2560 worth.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects