Workshop
Ask a question

How to add a gate lock that can be opened from the outside?

ehsantl
Growing in Experience

How to add a gate lock that can be opened from the outside?

Hi guys

My backyard door opening to a laneway opens outward and can be only locked and unlocked from inside, photo attached.

Just wonder if there is any easy way to add a lock to this door so it can be locked and unlocked from inside and OUTSIDE? I've seen some of the examples but they are all designed for the doors that open inward

It is a metal door frame with metal frame at the top

Do I need to add a latch at the top as well? or adding a lock would be enough to make it work?

Any ideas would be appreciated :smile:

IMG_2511.jpg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: Backyard door lock idea

Hi @ehsantl, many thanks for your question. I'd be happy to suggest an option for you and hope the helpful Workshop community might have some other options based on their experiences. 

You might like to consider the Lane Digital Gate Lock. It should be suitable for your door as it isn't affected by which way the door opens. If it is fixed to the stationary side of the gate (pictured with the pad bolt into the ground). The pin code will be on the exterior. You would enter the pin to open the door and simply turn the knob to exit.

I can see from your photos that the frame is fairly thin on the gate. To install the lock, you might need to add an additional metal plate or timber fixing point. You might also need to partially cut away some of the frame on the locking mechanism side.

If you would like any further details about this product or have questions about other lock styles, please feel free to ask.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
ehsantl
Growing in Experience

Thanks @MitchellMc for your reply. It all makes sense 👍

Before I was thinking about using something like this: https://www.bunnings.com.au/lokklatch-deluxe-gate-latch_p4150111 you don't reckon it would work? and I am not sure how "secure" as that latch! sorry my knowledge about locks is very limited!

I can see your point re adding extra surface for the lock to mount, I'm thinking to go with screwing timber to the frame around the middle support frame, I don't have and don't want to do welding myself :laugh: - thinking to use countersunk metal screws and add a timber at the corner to extending the mounting surface.

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Not an issue, I'm happy to assist @ehsantl.

The Lokklatch Deluxe Gate Latch appears that it would work on your gate. The latch will be on the outside and upside down which I don't think the manufacturer necessarily considered. You would need to change the latch screws to something like Pinnacle Assorted Anti Theft Bolts, stopping the latch from simply being un-screwed and taken off.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
HandyH
Growing in Experience

Hey there, ahsantl, 🙋🏼‍♀️Would you be able to cut a hole for your hand to fit through, near where the handle is so you can reach it from the other side?

Not sure if you would need to start with a drill hole first to then use metal snips to cut  out  the right sized suqare to fit your hand through. I would guess that you would also need to ensure the edges are made safe and not be sharp..either rounded over and/or a piece of garden hose sliced and placed around the opening  just an idea 🤷🏼‍♀️ hope all goes well 🙋🏼‍♀️

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects