Workshop
Ask a question

Sealing timber for use in laundry

shakey55
Just Starting Out

Sealing timber for use in laundry

I’m going put a timber bench in the laundry area. As it is considered a wet area what is the best way of sealing the timber to keep the moisture from damaging the timber. 

Thanks Shakey55

redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: timber in laundry

I suggest perhaps cabots clear or natural polyurethane finish. A light sand on the top using a 400 grit sand paper and then tack clothe to clean it up. Paint super early in the morning when there is no wind inside your garage. Follow the dry time instructions to avoid wrinkling and sagging. Minimum 2 coats both front and back and sides. If you cut into it all exposed surfaces must be painted as well. Add a succeeding coat every year and you will have a beautiful top in 10 years.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Nothing to add to @redracer01 :smile: Taking the time and effort to get it right to begin with will pay dividends over the years.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Sambro
Growing in Experience

Had thought about doing the same. What do you think of a resin final coat to give it a thick top thats polishable?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Glamourresin might like to help you with that @Sambro.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects