Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

grout wash

Al_
Just Starting Out

grout wash

Our builder did a dodgy job installing marble tiles with the grout not cleaned up properly. 

So we have either bits of grout  and / or grout wash overlapping onto the tile face.

Well and truly dried now (job was done over 12 months ago).

Have tried scrubbing etc but nothing seems to be quite working.

Any clues to resolve?

Cheers

Al

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: grout wash

It's always annoying when a job isn't done properly @Al_. I hope Workshop members can give you some suggestions.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the community. I'm sure you'll find plenty of great advice, tips and inspiration on the site. And hopefully have some fun, too. It's wonderful to have you join us. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Al_, you should still be able to refinish the shoddy (professional) grouting.

Get yourself a:

grout remover

If that's not up to it, & you have a multi-tool, perhaps this:

Multi-tool grout remover

Once you've got the grout lines cleaned up, remove the excess grout from the tile faces with a scraper, screwdriver or similar.

Once it's all cleaned up, it's only a matter of regrouting, which is cinch, & I'm you'll be up to it.

Please get back if you strike any difficulties.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

My grandfather would of been the person to ask...

@Andy_Mann has you covered if you need to grout the tiles again.

Cleaning the tiles you need a softening agent and starting from least harmful warm water, vinegar, acid and patio/driveway cleaner.

For a scraper starting at the least harm options sponge and nylon scourer which you have probably tried and move onto steelwool and lastly a glass paint scraper or similar razor blade scraper. Keep the angle low so you avoid damaging the tiles.

Any tool marks you could try to cover up using a cleaner like jif.

Test in a spot that is not noticeable and take your time.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects