Workshop
Ask a question

Repairing a water-damaged bathroom cabinet

Juststarting
Growing in Experience

Repairing a water-damaged bathroom cabinet

Hi

i have never done anything DIY and the interior of my bathroom cabinet has rotted away. I have decided to try my hand at fixing it myself so I went out and bought some power tools to help, now I just have to figure out how to use them, gut the interior and replace it. I am concerned about getting the back wall off and really hope I don’t have to remove the whole bench top and sink but I feel I probably will need to. Fingers crossed it works

3E3ACF97-251F-45B1-A880-497473A05CF2.jpegD84C5D6A-AD49-448B-A899-CDDA4449E4E9.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: bathroom cabinet DIY

Welcome to Workshop @Juststarting. We're pleased you could join us and trust that you'll get some great advice for this project as well as many others to come in the future. 

You might like to show us a wider shot of your bathroom vanity, including the sink and top so members can better see what you are working with. You might also like to share your plan of attack so you can get some feedback on your approach.

Thanks again for joining in the discussion, and we look forward to reading more about your projects and plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have a new project to share. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@Juststarting

Unfortunately Cabinets aren't that easy to fix

Unlike Retiling Your leaky shower

You will need to make sure your cabinet and surrounding tiles aren't beyond repair

• check for Water moister and swelling in the cabinet base frame (Particle Board)
  • leaking pipes within the wall

Hi

thank you that would be great. The damage was caused by a crack in the shower screen glass and this has caused the water damage to the cupboard. I am praying the damage isn’t too bad. I decided to start my first ever DIY so I appreciate all the help and advice I can get

Juststarting
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason

this is a wider view of the bathroom cabinet. My plan is to remove the damaged interior of the cabinet without too much hassle or difficulty then get new melamine to replace it and install this. I did get a quote to have it done professionally but it was over $2000 which is way out of my budget. Note to self ! When buying a new drill make sure it undoes screws 😢 back to Bunnings for a second drill today.

D7C9CF88-1A39-4AFD-A42D-AD2B7E753740.jpeg6A8E8730-59E2-4520-9F14-34D310243ECC.jpeg

Melamine is difficult to intall on the inside you might want to consider a vinyl

Use the harder wearing Melamine  on the bench top 

Here's one I've done recently

Although the colour is not a perfect match, it's damn close and only cost me less than 100 bucks and a couple of hours

Tools...Laminate File and Routerbit

Goodluck

New laminate top.jpg

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

What's your budget @Juststarting?

Could it extend to something like this as a replacement? https://www.bunnings.com.au/cibo-design-750mm-white-function-slimline-vanity_p4843935

You would just need to add a tap. 

Juststarting
Growing in Experience

Hi Isobel

my budget is very low, I am not currently working at the moment. I am going to go step by step and just remove the damaged wood first, then re-assess what is needed and what I can afford. Due to the layout of the bench top I can’t put in a purchased vanity but I can’t afford a custom vanity. Half the fun is going to be getting creative with solving the problem. I am really glad I found this site as it gives me hope that I have a chance of succeeding.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Good luck with it @Juststarting. There are lots of clever people around here who will be happy to help if you get stuck. I hope the damage isn't too widespread and you find a good solution.

Juststarting
Growing in Experience

Hi Isobel

thank you, I am so happy I found this site as it has given me some much needed focus and inspiration.

cheers

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects